MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
thejtrain

Reged: 10/04/06
My new xv6700 - just about everything works, no hacks req'd!
      #25412 - 10/04/06 09:01 PM

Hey all, this forum was a great resource as I was shopping for my new smartphone, so I figured it'd be the best place to return with a question.

First off though, I have to rave about how much I love my new device - call quality is great with a bluetooth headset (I can't imagine how I lived without it this long), WM5 has all the power I need, and I was able to get connected to my secured WLAN at home (I have yet to try an anonymous unsecured WLAN like at a Starbucks, but I imagine it'll be even easier).

One confusing bit though is that my phone (from Verizon) seems to do things that all of my research indicated couldn't be done without a hack. I don't want to be "that guy" on some anonymous forum post whose authenticity is suspect, but it's true.
- I set up a voice tag to my wife's contact (our home number), and was able to voice dial it by pressing the button and speaking the tag ("Call Home"). And this is without installing MS's Voice Command - note, I'm speaking into the handset, not the bluetooth headset.
- I also was able to activate WiFi and be connected and surfing with Pocket IE (only because I haven't ActiveSynced and installed Opera or Minimo yet), and accepted an incoming phone call at the same time and held the conversation on the bluetooth headset while continuing to surf. Sweet!

I had read that those things had been enabled by a ROM update from UT Starcom (IIRC the date was June 2006) but my ROM version is 2.07.20 WWE dated 02/24/06. I still haven't tried the BT DUN hack but fully intend to just as soon as I get a BT adapter for my laptop! ;-)

So now, my question: I want Google Maps for Mobile (GMail for Mobile is awesome - who needs Blackberry?), but the xv6700 isn't listed in the "supported devices" list. GMM needs a Java Virtual Machine (such as IBMs J9-something-or-other) - and when I downloaded the install file over EVDO, it warned me that it may not work with my phone. I read in one place that the games that come with the xv6700 (bubble breaker and solitaire) are based on J2ME. If that's the case, then wouldn't the .jad file I downloaded directly to my device be installable and runnable on the xv6700? I guess I'm looking for someone who knows for sure if the xv6700 already has a JVM on it from the factory. Any takers?

Thanks!
Jason

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
thejtrain

Re: My new xv6700 - just about everything works, no hacks req'd! [Re: thejtrain]
      #25432 - 10/06/06 01:43 PM

Correction: I guess this IS the new ROM update, after comparing the ROM version I have with the filename provided by UTStarcom.

Another correction: Voice dialing through the BT headset works out of the box, no MS Voice Command req'd!

New stuff: Opera browser works great, so does Google Maps for Mobile (I found detailed installation directions for IBM's J9 and while it's not as robust as The Real Deal, it's pretty sweet!

Another question: A soft reset (I understand that's what pressing the reset button is called) was required after I ran GMM the first time, but now it runs well every time. The weird part is that for all the apps that I installed to the storage card (Opera, Acrobat, etc.), the little menu icon has been replaced by the standard Windows "I can't find an icon so I'll use the little window-icon" icon. Any idea how to get those icons back?

Jason

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: My new xv6700 - just about everything works, no hacks req'd! [Re: thejtrain]
      #25442 - 10/07/06 03:02 PM

If Windows Mobile doesn't manage to re-associate the correct icon after another soft reset, you could delete the existing shortcuts in the Start Menu in the Windows Folder and create new ones.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

thejtrain

Re: My new xv6700 - just about everything works, no hacks req'd! [Re: LisaG]
      #25449 - 10/09/06 04:00 PM

Quote:

If Windows Mobile doesn't manage to re-associate the correct icon after another soft reset, you could delete the existing shortcuts in the Start Menu in the Windows Folder and create new ones.

Thanks! It was weird but all I had to do it seems is "remind" WM5 where to find those shortcuts - I recopied one shortcut (out of 5 that were missing their icons) to the Start Menu folder and the Start Menu immediately saw all of the correct icons that it was missing before.

Jason

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10742

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage