MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
Smidgerine

Reged: 12/02/06
Questions about WiFi and Cingular 8525
      #26069 - 12/02/06 09:11 PM

I went by my local Cingular store today to try and get some information on the new 8525. I really think that this is the phone I want because I really need a PDA. However, I don't want to pay for all the Data packages that they want me to pay for. This phone has WiFi, so am I correct in my assumption that I don't need a data package to use WiFi on the phone. The cingular people in the store told me that I had to have a data package to use WiFi, but this seems plain wrong to me. I realize that if there is no WiFi signal present that I wouldn't be able to access the internet or email, but I'm around my university campus 95% of the time, so that really wouldn't be an issue.

So, just to repeat, my question is:

Do I need a data package to be able to get on the internet, use email, etc. with a cingular 8525 (or HTC TyTN) as long as I have WiFi access?

Thanks very much.

Elliott

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Questions about WiFi and Cingular 8525 [Re: Smidgerine]
      #26244 - 12/19/06 12:11 PM

You absolutely don't need a data package to use WiFi.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

mikeysab

Reged: 01/30/07
Re: Questions about WiFi and Cingular 8525 [Re: LisaG]
      #26659 - 01/30/07 03:14 PM

This probably makes me sound like an idiot, but i'm confused. I thought I knew something about wifi, but now i'm not so sure. I am also interested in the same phone, but the t-mobile version called the MDA. I called t-mobile, the number for non customers on their web site, AND i called a t-mobile store, and they said in order to connect to a router through WiFi, you need a data plan. This is false, right, since you're not using a service? I just don't want to trade my PSP for an MDA, and not be able to connect to my router. Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Questions about WiFi and Cingular 8525 [Re: mikeysab]
      #26663 - 01/30/07 05:40 PM

Mikeysab, they were completely wrong and mis-informed you. You do not need a data plan to use WiFi. T-Mobile is different from other carriers in that they offer WiFi hotspots nationally, and if you wish to use those (at Starbucks, Borders and the like), then you would need a data plan that combines T-Mobile HotSpots plus cellular data or just a T-Mo HotSpot account. If you want to use WiFi at home, work or school you do not need to pay T-Mobile for a data plan.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8037

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage