MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
featherlite

Reged: 12/11/06
VX6700 questions
      #26128 - 12/11/06 12:38 AM

Hey guys, I just registered, I am hoping you could help me out in regards to the verizon VX6700 smartphone. I will be taking a course next semester at school and I am suposed to buy a PDA instead of a textbook. This seemed like a pretty cool idea to me because I will be able to use the PDA for a few years where as the textbook will be pretty useless after the course. Anyway, I am tired of my cell phone, and I figured I could pick up a smartphone and kill two birds with one stone. My professor recomended the VX6700, so I went to check it out. However, the clerk at the verizon store said that I would have to pay $45/month for a data plan. This is very expensive to a college student, so I am trying to figure out if I can get by without it.

I was hoping that as long as I were in a location where wi-fi was available, there should be no need for this data plan. If I were to use a standard PDA, or my laptop, I would not have to pay to use wifi. My house, my school, and my work are all wifi, so it only makes sense to me that I just use the existing wifi and not have to purchase the data plan for $45 per month. My father has the verizon broadband access card for his laptop that allows him to get broadband when wifi is not available, that is what I assume the data plan they are trying to sell me is, but I don't think I need that. The clerk tells me that I can't access the same wifi I get with my laptop without the data plan. This seems unfair to me. Can someone help me make sense of this situation?

Also, does anyone know if since my dad already has the broadband access card, the data plan would be cheaper, in the same manner as the phones get cheaper as you add them to your plan?

Thank you so much,

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: VX6700 questions [Re: featherlite]
      #26129 - 12/11/06 07:43 AM

If your smartphone has WiFi, then you can use WiFi exactly the same way as with other PDAs. Unfortunately, this is not the first report I have heard of this sort of misinformation from sales people.

However, if you are buying a smartphone just to disable the phone and use WiFi only, then that is really rather pointless... just get a PDA with WiFi.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

featherlite

Re: VX6700 questions [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #26135 - 12/11/06 07:08 PM

Thank you for your help Jacob.

I do not plan to disable the phone, I want to use the phone to make calls. I also want to use the wifi when I am in a hotspot, which I almost always am. I just don't think I need to pay for something that will allow me to use the verizon network anywhere when 99% of the time I am in an area that I could just use wifi and not have to pay for that.

Armanius
veteran

Reged: 11/17/06
      #26137 - 12/11/06 08:18 PM

The Verizon sales clerk is full of it. You don't need to have a Verizon data plan in order to utilize the wi-fi radio in the VX6700. The wi-fi radio works like any other wi-fi radio in a laptop or desktop computer. However, Verizon might not sell the VX6700 at its lowest possible price to you if you don't purchase a voice plan and a data plan from Verizon and sign a 2 year contract. The data plan that Verizon is trying to sell you allows you to surf the internet, and download stuff through Verizon's "broadband-like" data network regardless of the availability of wi-fi hotspots near you. This data network (EVDO) works totaly different than wi-fi. So with Verizon's EVDO, as long as you are in a Verizon coverage area with EVDO, you can use your VX6700 to surf the net with speeds of 500-700 kbps (in Houston). The Verizon data card that your father has utilizes this same data network. Unfortunately, access to Verizon's data network through your father's data card is limited to the data card itself. I doubt that you would be able to configure your VX6700 to use the same account of your father's data card. That being said, instead of getting a Verizon VX6700, get a Sprint PPC6700. It is the exact same phone, except that Sprint's data plans start at about $20 per month. The other smartphones that are equivalent to the VX6700 are the T-Mobile MDA, Cingular 8125 and Cingular 8525. T-Mobile's data plans start at $29.99 for the MDA, while Cingular's data plans start at $40 for the 8125 and 8525. T-Mobile's data network is pretty slow compared to Verizon and Sprint's. Cingular's new data network is as fast if not faster than Sprint and Verizon. However, the 8125 utilizes Cingular's old data network, so it's as slow as T-Mobile's current data network. Cingular 8525 does take advantage of Cingular's new data network.

featherlite

Re: VX6700 questions [Re: Armanius]
      #26139 - 12/12/06 01:43 AM

Excellent. I assume that I would not be able to use the same account my dad has to access the EVDO network, but I didn't know if, because he already has such a plan, it would be cheaper to add my plan. Such as how the phones are a certain cost per month, but when you add an additional phone to a plan it is much cheaper than the phone on its own. My dad used to have sprint, but switched to verizon because he didn't like the service (this is for phones, he only recently got the data plan). I will stay on the same plan he is on because it makes the phone cheaper for me. Even if I saved the $20 per motnh on the data plan, I think it would equal out if I had to pay for my own plan.

Thank you for the help again, I am happy to know I will be able to use the VX6700 in the same way I can a normal PDA without having to pay $45 per month.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #26143 - 12/12/06 03:03 PM

Call Verizon or visit their web site to see if there's a discount on data plans for family plans, but I think they only discount the voice portion of the bill.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

thablkpanda

Reged: 10/23/06
Re: VX6700 questions [Re: LisaG]
      #26202 - 12/15/06 02:41 PM

If you're at all interested in leaving Verizon, Sprint offers some of the most price-comprable data plans available.

I'm also making it my civic duty to troll the internet warning people of the hassles of WM5 and the 6700 series. Anyone e-mail heavy or data-heavy will find the 6700 cumbersome and more of a pain than a help. If you intend to have the device not plugged in for longer than 7 hours, then you'll need the extended battery- (again, this is anyone e-mail intensive or such), or a car charger, or to plug in your phone everywhere you go (not exactly attractive).

If you intend to do anything e-mail heavy or even mid-level email intensity, I suggest looking at alternatives to WM5 devices first, try looking over the Treo line, their devices were much more reliable to me than the WM5 line, and have dropped in price significantly. If you're very big on e-mail like I am (executive of the brokerage division in a family business, presiding over about 50 active traders, and serving around 250 clients), you should consider the BlackBerry series. I cannot praise it enough. I thought I was doomed to the likes of unreliable devices until my 8703 arrived a few weeks ago. It's the best PDA I've ever (EVER) had, and I've been around the block several times, switching carriers just to use the latest and greatest, only to be a severe let-down.

Sprint EVDO + 8703e = All I need.

Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6284

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage