MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
djv1255

Reged: 12/13/06
email junkie
      #26150 - 12/13/06 04:50 AM

I regularly check 3 email accounts - 1 business 2 personal
I currently have a Verizon Wireless phone.

When I go to the family vacation home, I have to drive 10-15 minutes to get to the local library to check my email.
Even on vacation, I get the urge to check my email. I don't know why.

Verizon Wireless (and I think all cellar) is spotty there. We have a metal roof on the home so we have to go stand out in the street saying "can you hear me now". There is a cafe with wifi a couple minutes walk away.

What would people recommend I get?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: email junkie [Re: djv1255]
      #26157 - 12/13/06 03:35 PM

Perhaps the Verizon XV6700 which has both EVDO and WiFi for that local cafe would be a good choice. http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Verizon-XV6700.htm

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

djv1255

Reged: 12/13/06
Re: email junkie [Re: LisaG]
      #26172 - 12/14/06 07:33 AM

Interesting choice but at $399 I could almost get a used laptop.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: email junkie [Re: djv1255]
      #26179 - 12/14/06 02:55 PM

PDA phones aren't cheap, you're paying for the miniaturization of technology. And the fact you can hold it to your head and make a call...

If you want a cheaper Wi-Fi enabled PDA, there's the Dell Axim X51 which comes in a WiFi version. The price varies depending on Dell's current promotions. The Dell has no phone or cellular data capabilities.

If T-Mobile has coverage in your area and you're interested in switching carriers, they have the Dash which is a great MS Smartphone for only $199 with a 2 year contract. It has a QWERTY keyboard and WiFi but no touch screen.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

thablkpanda

Reged: 10/23/06
Re: email junkie [Re: LisaG]
      #26201 - 12/15/06 02:30 PM

I hear a lot of people reccomending the 6700 series (I used the Sprint version) and I wonder if they've ever really used one.

Lisa- I hated it with a passion. WM5 was the buggiest OS i've ever used on a phone, daily lockups and requiring painstaking resets were commonplace, it was just a pain.

I've been around too- so don't say I don't have the experience, I was switching smartphones almost monthly to find something that I liked, and came across the BlackBerry series, I use the 8703e (8700 series on other carriers) with Sprint. It's perfect for a true e-mail junkie like the original poster and I. PUSH'd email directly to your device takes a matter of seconds round-trip. I've never had to reset it, and it's got snappy response.

If you're a true business-oriented mind, and don't need the extra frills, the BB series is for you.

Chris

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: email junkie [Re: thablkpanda]
      #26208 - 12/15/06 03:58 PM

But if the original poster needs WiFi to use at the Cafe since cellular service isn't strong at the vacation location, the BlackBerry won't help him. In other regards the BB is a great machine for email addicts though!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4774

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage