MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Baboon
PDA Addict

Reged: 12/19/06
GPS for Audiovox XV6700
      #26245 - 12/19/06 06:27 PM

Trying to find a GPS service for my XV6700 Pocket PC and keep running into "you have to spend $99.99 for this reciever in order to use it, and you have to carry the reciever around with you if you want to use it", plus a $10 monthly fee. Anyone know of a GPS service or software (for driving mainly) that is already compatible with my phone?

Also, what is the benefit to using Wifi on the phone? I never have any problems connecting to the internet using the cellular line so I was wondering why/what people use the wifi features for?

Thanks, I'm dumb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Baboon
PDA Addict

Re: GPS for Audiovox XV6700 [Re: Baboon]
      #26257 - 12/20/06 02:25 PM

I went to gpstuner.com and found (what looks like) a good fit for what I want. It lists my phone as being compatible too. Afer going through all the downloading processes and getting it set up on my phone, I pick the GPS Tuner program and get "your device does not have the most updated Framework exe application to run this progrram.

WTF?

Anyone, help a brother out.

Edited by Baboon (12/20/06 02:26 PM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #26263 - 12/20/06 11:41 PM

WiFi is handy for those who 1) don't want to pay for a data plan, 2) Don't live in an EVDO coverage area (though these days, Verizon has the US pretty well covered, at least metro regions).

As for what I'm assuming is a Compact Framework 2.0 requirement, you download it for free from Microsoft here. Be warned it takes up about 5 to 6 megs of space on the Pocket PC.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Baboon
PDA Addict

Re: GPS for Audiovox XV6700 [Re: LisaG]
      #26271 - 12/21/06 09:30 PM

Cool, thakns a ton. The wifi makes sense since I have it through work I don't pay anyhting for it

Thanks for the info. I think I tried that and it still didn't work, but I'm going to try it again. Someone is telling me now that I need a GPS satellite reciever which I don't have.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#26272 - 12/21/06 10:15 PM

That's right, you do need a GPS receiver or the phone and software won't know where you are :. There are phones that do it without true GPS using the E911 cell tower triangulation system (such as VZ Navigator software on Verizon). But I don't recall them offering that for the PPC.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

mptmobiletech

Reged: 12/22/06
      #26276 - 12/22/06 05:57 AM

It's not all bad new, but yes, you do need to purchase the $99 dollar receiver. It's very small, not much larger than a credit card. You can stash it anywhere in your car. You do have to purchase a service. Telenav is 10 bucks per month, and works superbly. Now, amortize that over time, and you'll have to decide if that cost vs. purchasing a real GPS device, such as the Tom Tom. The telenav service is a top notch service, but in one year, the cost of having it through the phone is nearly the same as just purchasing a GPS. There are not many phones with built in GPS, and surely no phones with the power and features of the xv6700. So, you would have to downgrade your phone, to get a GPS built in. Quite the dilemma.

I purchased the receiver and pay for the service. I'm hoping that Verizon with have their GPS service available with this phone within a year. One thing for sure; GPS is becoming cheaper by the day, and soon will be commonplace. Unless you really need it now, perhaps some patience might help you to make the best decision.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: GPS for Audiovox XV6700 [Re: mptmobiletech]
      #26280 - 12/22/06 03:17 PM

Or if you don't want to pay a monthly fee, there are products like CoPilot which include both a Bluetooth GPS and a Pocket PC application that does the navigating and mapping.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6927

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage