MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
kamuell

Reged: 01/12/07
smartphone selection troubles - web browsing important!
      #26487 - 01/12/07 11:18 PM

I may be looking for something that does not exist yet... but maybe y'all can help me out!

I'm currently using an ancient 3 year old sony ericsson T610 which, honestly, I totally love except that its starting to crap out a little and I'd like to upgrade. I love the OS on the sony as well as the UI and the SIZE is great.

My desired device would primarily serve as a phone and be form-fitting. That said, I am a bit of a tech junkie (think power user, but not someone who flashes their phone all the time with new stuff) and would like a phone that can cater to my nerd-ness. I really want something that browses the broadest range of sites. This would include (if possible) data input sites, including full java and "form" submitting functionality (think: i'm on etrade and am trying to place a trade). I'd also like SOLID (downloadable) game choices (love RPGs and Strategy), email, video and photo.

Must haves, in order of importance:
- Phone reception and phone features (speaker phone, voice features)
- Internet connectivity
- Games
- Camera
- Video playback
- Email and contact (pda-type) stuff.

(I do not use outlook and all that ... most of my stuff is going to be web-based)

I know the answer to the "features" is going to be a full on - pda-esque phone like a treo, etc. However, what you have to understand is that I never carry a bag, hate belt-clips and am annoyed by bulky items in my pocket. Therefore, I've been spying the Pearl and the Blackjack the most... but I feel there must be a Nokia option I have not yet considered.... what am I missing? What best fits my list?

From what I've seen on the blackjack, it is VERY versatile... but the battery deal scares me. I'm away from home/plugs for extended time. Could be an issue. Plus, I'm not necessarily thrilled with the thought of a MS OS. The Pearl also seems great, but I'm afraid the BB OS will be too "proprietary" for me?

Thanks all and great site you have here!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: smartphone selection troubles - web browsing important! [Re: kamuell]
      #26585 - 01/23/07 03:42 AM

The Nokia option is the E62 on Cingular. Very slim and it has a QWERTY keyboard as well as a fantastic web browser. The drawback is that it has no camera. http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Nokia-E62.htm

Other that that, there's the T-Mobile Dash (similar in size and concept to the BlackJack but no 3G). It does have better battery life than the BlackJack, but then the BlackJack comes with 2 batteries, so the comparison is moot. Really, the BlackJack is an excellent device all around, and that battery life isn't hopeless by any means.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2543

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage