MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
JDRod

Reged: 01/13/07
Verizon Smartphone Help?
      #26491 - 01/13/07 06:54 PM

I currently have a Dell Axim and Verizon service. I'm tired of carrying around both, so I want a convergence device. I use my PDA alot at the plant for your typical Outlook functions, but also run quite a bit of Excel spreadsheets and on occation Word documents. I've narrowed it down (if you can call it that) to:
Samsung SCH-I730
Verizon XV6700
Palm Treo 700

Until I found this site today, I was going with the SCH-I730, even though it didn't have the camera. I find that I do take pictures with some frequency, so that was a drawback to the Samsung, but the CNET reviews on the other 2 phones turned me off. Since discovering this site, I'm finding that the Treo and XV6700 are not that bad. Battery life seems to be a problem with all of these phones.

Given this, what's everyone's advice? Go ahead with the Samsung or should I head for the XV6700? How about the Palm?

One more question. I know I don't need the Verizon data package (and don't want it), but a question that I saw on this site (but wasn't answered) deals with the EVDO service. If the phones find the service, do I get whacked with charges even if I'm not using it?

Thanks folks, this is great site.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Verizon Smartphone Help? [Re: JDRod]
      #26584 - 01/23/07 03:35 AM

If you want to stay with Verizon, I personally would lean toward the XV6700, having used all three devices. The Treo 700w is a litle short on memory and the lower resolution screen isn't a plus with spreadsheets. The Samsung is a nice unit but has the worst battery life of all and is the oldest among the 3.

If you use the phone to connect to the Net for email or web browsing using Verizon's EVDO network you will be charged. I believe you can request that they disable data completely so this can't happen. WiFi of course will still work fine and Verizon doesn't charge when you use your home, work or local hotspot WiFi.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2845

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage