MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
mcastleberg

Reged: 06/05/07
Dying for the 6700...should I go with Sprint or stay with Verizon?
      #27754 - 06/05/07 04:36 PM

Ok guys my contract with Verizon had just come due for renewal so I have my $100 new-every-two credit. With this an other discounts I can get the 6700 for $199, however the Verizon salesman told me that I would be required to have the data package for any PDA phone I get from Verizon - I think this is in order to receive the other $100 discount. In any event this obviously kind of sucks as its adding another $45 onto my bill. Now, I've been told by the Sprint guys (obviously) that their network uses the same towers as Verizon and Cingular etc etc and that the ONLY difference is that Sprint is CHEAPER. Naturally I got a very different story from the Verizon store. Is Sprint really that much cheaper and is their network just as good? I don't know what to believe because EVERY provider says their network kicks ass and in alot of cases its simply not true - hello T-Mobile - so I was hoping to get some expert opinions from the forum here without starting a flame war. Should I stick with Verizon or should I switch to Sprint?

Secondly, the 6800 sounds amazing and obviously I'd love to have that if its going to be coming out shortly but what is it going to cost? Even with my new every two and other discounts its probably going to me significantly more than $199, right?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Dying for the 6700...should I go with Sprint or stay with Verizon? [Re: mcastleberg]
      #27755 - 06/05/07 04:54 PM

It is not absolutely true that all those carriers use the same towers-- the fellow was lying or misinformed. Now in some areas, several carriers may share some towers (meaning that big pole that sticks out of the ground) but each of them has to put THEIR OWN panels on that tower in order to broadcast a signal and provide service. The number of panels, type of panels and directional orientation are what determine service quality. There are of course other issues, like the higher the MHz of the signal, the poorer building penetration will be, so Verizon and Cingular have an edge over Sprint and T-Mobile.

I have nothing against Sprint, and their service is generally fine in urban areas. They are also stronger in some markets than others. So it's hard for me to say how good their service will be wherever you are. They generally do not have the strong blanketed coverage that Cingular and Verizon have. But they're better than T-Mo . Yes, Sprint's data plan is a steal, and you get the same EVDO speeds as with Verizon.

I don't know when the PPC-6800 will come out. Hopefully by the fall of this year, is my guess. I also don't know the price, but would guess it will be somewhere around $299 or $349 with a 2 year contract.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

mcastleberg

Re: Dying for the 6700...should I go with Sprint or stay with Verizon? [Re: LisaG]
      #27758 - 06/06/07 07:01 AM

Sprints packages seem right in line with what Verizon offers as far as price/minutes. How is their data package a steal?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Dying for the 6700...should I go with Sprint or stay with Verizon? [Re: mcastleberg]
      #27759 - 06/06/07 10:14 AM

Their Power Vision data package is only $15/month. That gets you unlimited EVDO. Verizon is considerably more, as is Cingular.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

mcastleberg

Re: Dying for the 6700...should I go with Sprint or stay with Verizon? [Re: LisaG]
      #27768 - 06/06/07 07:31 PM

Weird, on their page they had their data package listed as $49.99 like Verizon's.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#27769 - 06/06/07 09:25 PM

From Sprint's web site, here's what I see:

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5551

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage