MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
nzindy

Reged: 06/06/07
PocketPC processors??
      #27760 - 06/06/07 10:56 AM

Firstly, can I say that this site is great!

I'm a little puzzled with the new WM6 operating system and the whole host of new smartphones coming out. I'm hoping someone here will be able to enlighten me.

Firstly how closely related are WM6 standard and pro? Is it just MS marketing or are the OSes much more similar than previous, and will it mean that more companies can port their pocketPC software onto smartphones more easily?

Secondly I've noticed that there are a host of new PDAphones (HTC touch and ASUS P526 to name two) that are running WM6 pro but are only kitted out with 201mhz CPUs -- surely they'll be too slow to run 'proper' pocketPC software (ie large databases)/watch movies etc???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: PocketPC processors?? [Re: nzindy]
      #27770 - 06/06/07 09:36 PM

Pro is the new name for the Pocket PC version of the OS and Standard is the new name for the Smartphone OS. The biggest difference is Pro devices have a touch screen and stylus, and a somewhat more robust version of IE Mobile.

200MHz is OK for working with email and office apps as well as IM and MP3 playback. It's slow for video playback and web browsing is a bit slower since the CPU does the page rendering work.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2543

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage