Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
Craigory

Reged: 06/18/07
Looking to buy an Audiovox x6700 but need some answers first
      #27865 - 06/18/07 04:07 PM

Hello,

As I said I am looking to purchase an Audiovox x6700 for the Verizon Wireless network, but before I do I need some things explained to me since I have never owned a pocket PC before.

1.) Does using WiFi access cost anything? I would hope it doesn't as you can connect to wireless internet using a computer for free as long as it is an open network.

2.) Can you add a smartphone to a normal plan? I currently have a family plan and would like to just switch service from my current voice phone to the smartphone, I don't wish to have to get a separate plan just to have the smartphone, will I need to? In other words can you have a functional smartphone without a data plan as long as you can access WiFi?

3.) Can it really replace a wireless modem for a laptop, and is this free? The wireless jack on my laptop is shot, but if I could connect to wireless internet via USB and the smartphone that would be phenomenal - not sure if this works as I understood it perhaps someone can shed light on it - and would this cost any extra or not?

Overall I would like the smartphone as I need to check email often and am on the go a lot and access to word and excel on the go would be amazing. I just don't want to be bombarded with rediculous price gougers to be able to use these features. I am 100% of the time in a wireless internet capable area and if I can access the WiFi for free using the phone able to check email and whatnot that would be fabulous. Before I drop the money on the phone I wanted to know if it is going to cost me an arm and a leg to operate or if I can get by with the current family plan I have now.

Thank you so much,
-Craigory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Looking to buy an Audiovox x6700 but need some answers first [Re: Craigory]
      #27866 - 06/18/07 05:28 PM

1) You do not have to pay Verizon anything to use WiFi. WiFi works independently of their services.

2) I believe that you don't have to add a data plan to your account, but check with a knowledgeable Verizon rep on that (call 611 from your Verizon phone and ask).

3) You can use the phone as a modem for a notebook or PC using Verizon's EVDO connection, but that would require a data plan with Verizon. I've never heard of a way to share a WiFi connection using a Pocket PC phone.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Craigory

Re: Looking to buy an Audiovox x6700 but need some answers first [Re: LisaG]
      #27872 - 06/19/07 12:38 PM

I just got off the phone with Verizon and was told that I would need a data plan in order to access the wifi internet, though it isn't necessary to purchase a data plan. I don't know if they are just trying to con me into purchasing a data plan or not hehe to me it doesn't sound like one should need a data plan to access the wifi internet since it is independent of Verizon. Any opinons on the subject?

Thanks,
-Craigory

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#27873 - 06/19/07 12:50 PM

The person is wrong. You do not need a data plan to use WiFi. You need it only if you wish to use Verizon's EVDO network.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Craigory

#27879 - 06/19/07 05:18 PM

Thanks a lot that helps so much. I am thinking about buying it then I really just want the office software mobile. That and e-mail. The office ware I wouldn't need a data plan I wouldn't think and email is done through WiFi so I would be set without the data plan right?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am very grateful for the help as I know customer service reps are used to try and sell as many products as they can and are a little biased in helping you know what you want to.

Thanks again,
-Craigory

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#27880 - 06/19/07 05:22 PM

The office apps don't use a wireless connection of any kind. You can do email using EVDO or WiFi-- both work. You might want to have Verizon disable the EVDO connection on your phone's account so you don't accidentally use EVDO rather than WiFi for email and the web.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Craigory

#27881 - 06/19/07 05:47 PM

Ok good advice that I will do. Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks,
-Craigory

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage