MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
youngcomp

Reged: 07/09/07
need simple help please "which one is right for me"
      #28025 - 07/09/07 04:47 AM

all im looking for is a handheld pc with built in wifi, and i need to be able to easily browse sites online and use AIM for free (in wifi hotspot areas obv). Also downloading a few files here and there.
if possible i would deffinietly prefer a clamshell style handheld.Something like the sony peg UX50 seems perfect, but im not sure if it can,or how to get AIM on that, also maybe something alittle newer would be nice. price range- no more than $600

Any help will be MUCH appreciated. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: need simple help please "which one is right for me" [Re: youngcomp]
      #28027 - 07/09/07 10:19 AM

AIM is a bit hard to come by on Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs. AOL did release a free downloadable version some time ago, but I think it still works on newer models (chances are better with Palm OS since that hasn't changed so much over the years).

Here's the info and download page for the Palm version: http://info.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/

And this is for Windows Mobile: http://info.aol.co.uk/aim/pda/

There are also more recent applications that you can buy that will work (sold for both platforms), such as Shape services: http://www.shapeservices.com/en/products/details.php?product=im

Since AIM doesn't come with the device, I'd say pick the device you like best, the download an AIM client.

The Palm T|X, Dell Axim X51 and the HP hx2490 might also be good possibilities unless you're looking for a built-in keyboard, which is hard to find on a non-phone model. These models are reviewed on our site. That said, the Sony Clie UX50 is still a very cool device, even though it's discontinued!

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

youngcomp

Reged: 07/09/07
Re: need simple help please "which one is right for me" [Re: LisaG]
      #28041 - 07/12/07 01:02 AM

Okay i figured out that i am going to go with the sony clie peg ux50 and getting that. Now how can i install the palm os aim version u showed me onto that? i went to the link u posted an downloaded the aim, and then when it saves to my desktop and i click it it says Find to locate where its from or i can choose what to open it with from a list. Now when i have the ux50 installed, do i have to open the aim with those files or something??i dont understand what i have to do.

thanks alot for your help i appreciate it. =]

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: need simple help please "which one is right for me" [Re: youngcomp]
      #28046 - 07/12/07 10:24 AM

You install it like any Palm OS application. Use the Palm Desktop software that came with the Clie to install the software on the device.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4836

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage