MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
halb

Reged: 08/19/07
Loc: Illinois, USA
Help on new smartphone purchase; VOIP, etc
      #28321 - 08/19/07 07:28 PM

I use a Moto Q on Verizon. My wife's phone is also with VZW and is a Moto KRZR. We are partners in several businesses and I am starting a new one which I will be on the road a lot. I am going to have VoIP installed in our home offices and I want to be able to integrate the Smartphone, VoIP and our laptops/desktops. I understand the the new MS Smartphone OS V6 may have support for VoIP. We use MS Exchange hosting for our compnay email and I read that Exchange 2007 has some added features to make synching/using MS Mobile V6 better.

I will need to upgrade my camera for the new business and I saw the new Nokia N95 has a % megapixel camera. Having a decent camera (3Megapixel or more) would be nice. The N95 3G will not work in the US. I think that it may have EDGE and I am trying to find out how it will stack up in download speed vs. the new Moto Q GSM on ATT or the new 3G version coming to Verizon. If someone could possibly gauge this in terms of current Moto Q Verizon MS version 5.0 that would be really helpful.

I would like to hear some opinions on what phones are available now or whether I should wait for MS Mobile V6 to become available over the next few months to get imporved performance and be able to use VoIP services on the new phone. The camera is secondary but it would be nice to have a high end camera on the phone. Thanks.

--------------------
--Hal

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Help on new smartphone purchase; VOIP, etc [Re: halb]
      #28322 - 08/19/07 08:38 PM

Check out Skype's download page for mobile devices-- they support quite a few Windows Mobile Pocket PC phones and a few smartphones (no need for Windows Mobile 6). I know the Moto Q has been problematic and I'm not sure if they got that working. It's free, so it's worth a try though.

Windows Mobile 6 does add some Exchange improvements such as HTML email and faster searching of contacts and etc.

EDGE is noticeably slower than HSDPA (Cingular's 3.5G) and EVDO on Verizon/Sprint. It's OK for web browsing and email but not really good enough for VOIP. Yes, the N95 uses EDGE in the US. Our reviews generally provide download speeds, and the N95 review has that info.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage