MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
drbog1

Reged: 09/02/07
Need Advice on Phone --Nokia E90 or ???
      #28433 - 09/02/07 09:51 AM

I am currently a TMobile MDA user in the US (want to stick with it). While the MDA has been ok, there is a lot I don't like and want to upgrade the phone. I am considering the Nokia E90 but want to make sure that I am not overlooking any other options. Want good phone quality -- MDA takes a long time to reacquire the network when driving back into coverage --- I definitely want something more responsive. The PDA part of the MDA is slow but usable -- would like something faster and with more memory (I am always bumping against the RAM limitations). Need something that syncs to Outlook and runs Pocket Excel. Want to buy Win Mobile 6. Also need wifi and like to use bluetooth modem in MDA to hook laptop to web when necessary.

Is the Nokia E90 the way to go or is there something else to be looking at? Also, idea of where I can get one (unlocked) for < $1000?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need Advice on Phone --Nokia E90 or ??? [Re: drbog1]
      #28434 - 09/02/07 12:50 PM

How about the HTC Wing, which replaced the MDA on T-Mobile? Here's the review: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/T-Mobile-Wing.htm . It's running WM6, is faster to reacquire a signal, but it's not much faster than the MDA.

As for the E90, phonesource-usa.com and importgsm.com tend to have fairly low prices on their phones and they're reputable. I think phonesource-usa is out of stock at the moment though. Apparently Nokia can't keep up with demand for the E90, and that's keeping prices high and inventory low.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

drbog1

Reged: 09/02/07
Re: Need Advice on Phone --Nokia E90 or ??? [Re: LisaG]
      #28435 - 09/02/07 01:09 PM

Thanks for the tip. I did consider the Wing but most reviews said it was a half step up from the MDA. Was looking for a little more horsepower. Only concern I have with the E90 is that the CPU speed seems to still be under 400mHz and that it is not running Win Mob 6. Hope that the big bump in RAM will improve performance over what I am used to.

I would prefer to stay with Win Mob because I have some other apps that probably won't run on the E90. Any other suggestions ? HTC series???

Edited by drbog1 (09/02/07 01:50 PM)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need Advice on Phone --Nokia E90 or ??? [Re: drbog1]
      #28436 - 09/02/07 03:34 PM

Symbian OS and S60 aren't as demanding of resources as Window Mobile, so the dual core CPU in the E90 is more than up to the task.

If you want to stick with WinMo, there's the HTC TyTN (still shipping with WM5, I believe). The TyTN II will probably be available from importers within a month for around $800-$900. That's the one codenamed the Kaiser, and it adds a GPS, different slider design and WM6 to the original TyTN design. It's 400MHz, so it will be faster than the MDA (the TyTN is also faster).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5349

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage