MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
RickE

Reged: 10/11/07
Does this PDA even exist?
      #28709 - 10/12/07 04:58 AM

I am looking for an unlocked GSM SmartPhone with some features that I must have and some that I would like it to have. I can't seem to find one with all the features in my must have category.
Here are my "must haves" and "would like to have" categories below. If anyone can please guide me towards a PDA with the closest to what I am looking for it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Must have:

WIFI
QUADBAND
EDGE
WINDOWS MOBILE
VIDEO & STILL CAMERA WITH FLASH (hopefully with lens cover)
GPS
Memory upgradable to at least 3 gigs
MP3 capabilities with stereo sound and headphone jack

Would like to also have (but not must have):

JAVA
QWERTY keyboard

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Does this PDA even exist? [Re: RickE]
      #28711 - 10/12/07 02:44 PM

Well, there's the E-TEN Glofiish X500+, which has all the features you mentioned but they don't state whether it supports SDHC for cards over 4 gigs in capacity and we didn't yet have one of those fairly new cards to test it with when we reviewed it. So you might be limited to 2 gigs storage. Here's the review: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Glofiish-X500-plus.htm

There's also the unlocked HTC TyTN II (the unbranded version of the AT&T HTC Tilt reviewed on our site). It has everything including SDHC support for high capacity cards. The jack is stereo, but it's HTC's proprietary jack and not a 2.5mm. HTC does include a stereo headset with the phone though, and there's an adapter that converts it to a standard jack sold here .

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

RickE

Re: Does this PDA even exist? [Re: LisaG]
      #28716 - 10/12/07 11:16 PM

Quote:

Well, there's the E-TEN Glofiish X500+, which has all the features you mentioned but they don't state whether it supports SDHC for cards over 4 gigs in capacity and we didn't yet have one of those fairly new cards to test it with when we reviewed it. So you might be limited to 2 gigs storage. Here's the review: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Glofiish-X500-plus.htm

There's also the unlocked HTC TyTN II (the unbranded version of the AT&T HTC Tilt reviewed on our site). It has everything including SDHC support for high capacity cards. The jack is stereo, but it's HTC's proprietary jack and not a 2.5mm. HTC does include a stereo headset with the phone though, and there's an adapter that converts it to a standard jack sold here .

Thanks a lot Lisa, amazing help! It looks like the HTC TyTN II may be the one for me. I'm just going to look into both of the PDA's you suggested and finalise.

RickE

#28765 - 10/17/07 08:54 PM

So it looks like the HTC TYTN II is the one for me, this phone looks amazing! After some investigation it seems that Rogers (service provider here in Canada) is rumored to be offering this PDA at a discount with a 2 or 3 year plan. It is supposed to be coming out sometime before the end of this year so I will wait to see if this holds true and get it then. Thanks again Lisa for your help.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#28766 - 10/17/07 10:10 PM

Wow, a 3 year contract? I thought we had it bad in the US with 2 year contracts .

Hope you're able to get the phone and that it works out well for you.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

RickE

#28768 - 10/17/07 11:58 PM

Quote:

Wow, a 3 year contract? I thought we had it bad in the US with 2 year contracts .

Hope you're able to get the phone and that it works out well for you.

Yeah, it's bad up here. And don't get me started on the Income Tax rates, lol.
Well reading more on this site, it looks like there may even me another phone in contention, the Nokia E90 http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Nokia-E90.htm . Rogers better come through!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#28771 - 10/18/07 12:47 AM

The E90 is a really excellent device, though it does miss on your Windows Mobile requirement .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

RickE

#28835 - 10/23/07 09:33 PM

Quote:

The E90 is a really excellent device, though it does miss on your Windows Mobile requirement .

Ahh. Yes, you are right. I don't know how I missed that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8071

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage