This is a Windows Mobile 6 Standard Edition smartphone (non-touch screen) with 3G HSDPA, quad band GSM, support for Microsoft Direct Push email, Good Mobile Messaging, Xpress Mail and BlackBerry Connect (though it looks like BBConnect won't be available immediately). This cousin to Verizon's Motorola Q9m adds a few improvements including a better camera and integrated GPS.
It has a QVGA landscape display (320 x 240 pixels), a QWERTY thumb keyboard and it costs $299 with a 2 year contract after rebates. The no-contract price is $499.
* Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone with integrated GPS * 3G capable for high-speed simultaneous voice and data * Integrated GPS for Telenav Maps and Navigator * 2.0 megapixel camera with LED flash * Bluetooth Wireless 2.0 with stereo headset support * Windows Mobile 6 with Direct Push Technology * Edit Microsoft Word or Excel files and view PowerPoint * AT&T Music, Billboard, Music ID, XM, Napster, Yahoo * Cellular Video capable - Get news, sports, and video * Good Mobile Messaging, Outlook, IMAP and POP3 email * Instant messaging using AOL?, Yahoo!? and MSN? * Quad-band world phone with dual-band UMTS/HSDPA * Strong Battery Life - Up to 9 hours of talk and 30 days standby * MicroSD(TM) removable memory expands up to 32 GB * Microsoft Intenet Express for surfing the internet * Windows Media Player 10 Mobile * BlackBerry Connect support available in 2008 * Text, picture, and video messaging * One-touch dedicated access keys * Speakerphone
Specs: Windows Mobile 6 Standard 325MHz processor 256 megs flash ROM, 128 megs RAM Bluetooth 2.0 MicroSD card slot supporting SDHC Weight: 4.73 ounces Dimensions: 4.65 x 2.63 x 0.47 inches
Our review will be forthcoming!
-------------------- Lisa Gade Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview
Here is the official announcement from AT&T. It also mentioned that the MOTO Q 9h includes the new Moto Q Paks which are free application bundles for the device. Here is the announcement:
"AT&T and Motorola announced today that the MOTO Q 9h global will be available exclusively to AT&T customers in the U.S. beginning tomorrow. The 3G-powered MOTO Q global is the first MOTO Q smart device sold in the U.S. with worldwide capabilities1.
The MOTO Q global is a high-performance smart device with a new, sleek form factor. The MOTO Q global offers AT&T customers a full ergonomic, integrated QWERTY keyboard; outstanding voice quality; downloads at up to 3.6 Mbps via AT&T's UMTS/HSDPA-based BroadbandConnect network;2 Windows Mobile? 6; built-in GPS capabilities; Documents to Go? for document editing; Opera browser; seven dedicated shortcut keys; a 2.0-megapixel camera with flash; and support for both a host of enterprise- and consumer-oriented applications and services. These include the debut of My Q Paks, a suite of third-party application bundles designed to meet a MOTO Q global user's lifestyle needs. These applications are all made possible through relationships with software developers that are members of Motorola's MOTODEV Developer network.
The MOTO Q global provides access to AT&T's BroadbandConnect network in more than 200 major metropolitan areas across the U.S. and coverage outside 3G service areas via AT&T's nationwide3 EDGE network, the largest national high speed wireless data network in the U.S. The EDGE network is available in more than 13,000 cities and towns and along some 40,000 miles of major highways.
Outside the U.S., AT&T customers can use the MOTO Q global in more than 135 countries to access e-mail and other data applications and to browse the Web, and they can make or receive phone calls in more than 190 countries ? the largest international wireless footprint of any U.S. carrier.
Windows Mobile 6 Experience Windows Mobile 6 provides MOTO Q global users with the familiar look and feel of their desktop computers at home or in the office. Windows Mobile 6 delivers the ability to view e-mail messages in their original rich HTML format with live links to Web and Microsoft Office SharePoint sites, which means that text and images are displayed as they would be on a Windows PC.
All Windows Mobile 6 devices include Microsoft's Direct Push Technology for up-to-date e-mail delivery and automatic synchronization of Outlook? calendars, tasks and contacts through Microsoft Exchange Server?. The MOTO Q global also will support System Center Mobile Device Manager at around the time Mobile Device Manager is available in the second quarter of 2008. The comprehensive, enterprise-grade mobile management security and access server product was announced last week by Microsoft at CTIA Wireless I.T. and Entertainment 2007.
Windows Mobile 6 also offers a set of important device security and management features that include the capability to remotely wipe all data from a device should it be lost or stolen. This feature helps ensure that confidential information remains that way. AT&T has the broadest portfolio of Windows Mobile devices of any U.S. carrier.
E-Mail and Beyond The MOTO Q global delivers the most personalized, productive and secure mobile e-mail experience by running Motorola's Good Mobile Messaging 5. Using Good Mobile Messaging 5 on the MOTO Q global, business users get a fully integrated mobile RSS reader and subscription manager, the ability to group and sort e-mail by conversation threads, the ability to customize priority e-mail with personalized notifications and complete calendar capabilities, including real-time free-busy visibility. In addition, Good Mobile Messaging 5 provides IT managers with ultimate control through advanced security and management capabilities, including a mandatory application checker, application blacklisting, granular device-feature lockdown and SD-card and database encryption, all through a single management console with complete over-the-air controls.
In addition, business users will be able to access other services, such as:
* TeleNav GPS Navigator. This provides GPS-enabled turn-by-turn voice and on-screen driving direction, colorful 3-D moving maps and traffic delay alerts/rerouting for use in vehicles or while walking. * TeleNav Track. This is a fully hosted, on-demand and comprehensive GPS-based workforce-management solution.
Beyond business uses, the MOTO Q global provides consumers with rich messaging and entertainment experiences. Customers can access their personal e-mail through AT&T's popular Xpress Mail push e-mail service or POP3/IMAP4 clients and communicate with friends and family via SMS and MMS messages. They can also send instant messages using such popular platforms as AOL, MSN and Yahoo!. The MOTO Q global also comes preloaded with such popular services as AT&T Mobile Music, AT&T's CV video service, MobiTV and Web browsing, all through AT&T's MEdia Net.
AT&T MOTO Q global users will be the first to have access to My Q Paks, which provide bundles of advanced applications geared to a user's personality and lifestyle. My Q Paks, available only on the MOTO Q global, initially will offer three Paks ? of five applications each ? that meet the needs of an on-the-go "Road Warrior," always juggling "Household CEO" or entertainment-focused "Fun Seeker." My Q Paks can be downloaded directly over the air to the user's MOTO Q global through a quick three-step process. Usage is complimentary for one year from date4 of download, and AT&T customers must download their My Q Paks by April 30, 2008. More information regarding My Q Paks can be found at. www.motorola.com/us/myqpaks
Pricing and Availability For the holidays, the MOTO Q global is expected to be available for a special introductory price of $199.995 at AT&T retail stores nationwide, online at www.wireless.att.com, at select national retailers and through AT&T's business-to-business sales organizations. Unlimited monthly data plans, which include corporate e-mail, are $44.99 a month with a voice contract. Personal data plans, which include personal e-mail, begin at $29.99 a month for 20MB of data. AT&T also offers an international data plan for the MOTO Q global ? 20MB in nearly 30 countries ? for an additional $24.99 a month. TeleNav GPS Navigator is available for additional monthly charges of $5.99 for 10 trips and $9.99 for unlimited trips. TeleNav Track service plans range from $12.99 to $21.99 for each device."
Here is Motorola's announcement today on the My Q Paks bundles. Each Pak includes 5 applications. Here is more:
"Leveraging relationships with software developers through its MOTODEV Developer network, Motorola today introduced My Q Paks -- complimentary third-party application bundles, which are available for one year from the date of download, and are designed to create a more personalized experience for users of the newly-released MOTO Q 9h global smart device. My Q Paks are exclusively available to AT&T wireless customers and may be redeemed via download by April 30, 2008, up to 90 days after purchase of a MOTO Q global.
By offering the My Q Paks bundles, Motorola will demonstrate how easy it is for consumers to enhance their wireless experience with the addition of advanced applications that match their personality and lifestyle. Three My Q Paks bundles are currently available, each containing five applications from companies including Capcom, Mobifusion, Gameloft, Astraware and others, and each helping to meet the needs of the on-the-go ?Road Warrior,? always busy ?Household CEO? or entertainment-focused ?Fun Seeker.?
The My Q Paks bundles can be downloaded directly over the air to the user?s MOTO Q global smart device through a quick, three-step process, which can be found at http://www.motorola.com/us/myqpaks:
My Q Paks Application Bundles:
* WorldMate (MobiMate) ? Stay on track with access to flight status, weather forecasts, currency and measurement converters and more. * Quotestream (Quotemedia) ? Take the stock market with you! Complete wireless stock portfolio management and market data with upgrade to real-time packages, charting, news and company research information. * ZAGAT TO GO (Handmark) ? Browse ratings and rankings for over 24,000 restaurants and nightspots in more than 70 cities to select the best option for a quick bite on-the-go, power lunch or after hours cocktail. * SplashID (SplashData) ? Organize and help protect confidential information including user names, passwords, credit card data, registrations, prescriptions and more. Synchronize data between your handheld or phone and your desktop PC1. * 3D Pool (Gameloft) ? Release tension as you face opponents in four different American pool bars. Game features hyper-realistic graphics in a 3D universe.
* Better Homes & Gardens Recipes On-the-Go (Mobifusion) ? Enhance your family?s diet with nutritious, easy and mouth-watering meal plans from America?s leading source.
* ? SplashID (SplashData) ? Organize and help protect confidential information including user names, passwords, credit card data, registrations, prescriptions and more. Synchronize data between your handheld or phone and your desktop PC.
* Sudoku (Astraware) ? Take a break and enjoy an almost unlimited supply of Sudoku. * Personality Kit (Ascender Corp.) ? Make a statement and create a ?personality? for your smart device. Select from a variety of attention-getting personalities, each including a ringtone, wallpaper background and color theme. * ZAGAT TO GO (Handmark) ? Browse ratings and rankings for over 24,000 restaurants and nightspots in more than 70 cities to select the best option for a quick bite on-the-go, family-friendly dining or an after the kids are asleep cocktail.
* Who Wants to be a Millionaire? (Capcom) ? Put your general knowledge to the test with a series of 15 progressively more difficult questions. Sound effects from the popular television show are incorporated into the game. * Bejeweled (Astraware) ? This award-winning handheld version of the online and PC classic offers three different play modes. * 3D Pool (Gameloft) ? Face opponents in four different American pool bars. Game features hyper-realistic graphics in a 3D universe. * Sudoku (Astraware) ? Challenge yourself with an almost unlimited supply of Sudoku. * MyStrands (MyStrands) ? Bring together on-the-go discovery and enjoyment of music with the power of social networks."