MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
meiling

Reged: 12/07/07
best pda to buy now--Vista issues?
      #29168 - 12/07/07 02:28 PM

Hello,
I want to buy a PDA and have a new laptop with Vista. At first I wanted a Palm TX but have read there are some problems with synching to Vista. How true or difficult is this and what are my options? I need to spend less than $300 and really prefer a PDA to a smartphone (I tried a Blackberry and really disliked it--the call quality was awful!).

I am needing either Palm OS if Vista will work or I guess a MS platform if Vista compatible because I need to run ACT (contact mgt software). Also like stylus input instead of keyboard and wireless capability. I am not super technically savvy so thanks for this website! Are pdas all going away to smartphones now?
Thanks very much for advice!
meiling

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
furia1

Reged: 12/01/07
Re: best pda to buy now--Vista issues? [Re: meiling]
      #29171 - 12/07/07 07:07 PM

Great question...I am searching for the same and also considering the Palm TX. My needs are to be able to access and edit Powerpoint, Word, and Excel files. Also need wireless internet, but agree that a pda phone is not the way to go. Any help appreciated!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: best pda to buy now--Vista issues? [Re: furia1]
      #29172 - 12/07/07 07:37 PM

It's true that Palm's Vista desktop software is still in beta, but that beta version does support the T|X at least. For Windows Mobile PDAs, there's HP's new iPAQ 111 which is on HP's website here: http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/handheld/PC/1/storefronts/FA979AA%2523ABA .

We have one in for review and it's a very nice PDA with a lot of features and power for $299.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

furia1

Reged: 12/01/07
Re: best pda to buy now--Vista issues? [Re: LisaG]
      #29180 - 12/08/07 06:39 AM

Will the Windows OS system in the HP iPAQ allow editing of Powerpoint documents? If not, is there software I can purchase for the iPAQ that would support editing Powerpoint.

I am seeking a laptop alternative that will allow for access/editing of PP and Word documents. Many thanks for the help.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: best pda to buy now--Vista issues? [Re: furia1]
      #29181 - 12/08/07 12:02 PM

The iPAQ can read and edit MS Word and Excel files but only read PowerPoint files. There are 3rd party apps for editing PP docs.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage