Hmmm, sounds like a hard reset followed by installing 3rd party apps one by one is in order. The Comm Manager files are mostly in flash ROM, so it's not easy to tinker with them. But you could check out xda-developers.com HTC Athena forum section to see if they've got any info.
-------------------- Lisa Gade Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview
>sounds like a hard reset followed by installing 3rd party apps....
Well, it actually took 2 hard resets to get it done. The first cleared the Comm Manager problem. The second was quite strange.
After the first reset when making the initial sync with the PC, the device was named something like, "WM_adminstra_1" in Activsync. I did not name it this nor could I find any reference to this name. I also could not sync with the PC, copy/delete files, etc. on the device.
It's as if it was logged on as administrator and I was a separate user without rights.