Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
birdnird

Reged: 03/26/08
Smartphone with voice recording for interviewing people
      #29872 - 03/26/08 01:21 PM

Hi,

I wanted to know if any Smartphones are reasonably good at voice recording. That is, if I want to interview someone, possibly even outside, do any of the Smartphones do a good job at this? This seems to be a feature they rarely mention.

This is for a self-supported bike trip through Europe (I don't even need the phone for the US), so it also has to support GSM 900/1800 and can be unlocked. It should also have a QWERTY keyboard that allows me to type documents. It would be nice if it had decent battery life. An MP3 player would be a nice-to-have.

But Euro-phone/voice recording/text editor are my 3 main requirements. I'd like to get a single Smartphone instead of having to get multiple devices to carry around and charge.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Smartphone with voice recording for interviewing people [Re: birdnird]
      #29876 - 03/27/08 09:05 AM

A voice recorder is standard on Windows Mobile Pocket PC phones. Recording quality is OK (not fantastic) but good for voice notes and conversations at close range. They record in mono only using the built-in mic. They all also have MP3 players, so I'd say take a look at the ones that suit your fancy with a QWERTY keyboard, since there are quite a few. For example there's the T-Mobile Wing, Treo 750 AT&T Tilt among locked carrier phones, and the HTC TyTN, TyTN II, the E-TEN Glofiish M700 and unlocked version of the Treo 750 among unlocked phones. These are all reviewed on our site.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/smartphone.htm#ppc

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

birdnird

Reged: 03/26/08
Re: Smartphone with voice recording for interviewing people [Re: LisaG]
      #29881 - 03/27/08 03:03 PM

Thanks for your advice!

So, what exactly is a Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone? Is that anything that uses Windows Mobile 6, or maybe earlier versions too? Looking at the Treo 750 user's guide, it looks like there's something called Voice Notes. It looks like it's meant for recording short voice notes to yourself. Do you know if there are any size limitations on these? For example, can I record a 20-minute in-person interview with someone to the mini-SD slot (I'm assuming the audio file would be too big for internal memory)?

I also came across a larger Nokia smartphone, the 9500, which uses the Symbian OS. It claims to have a voice recorder too and the Nokia 9500 user guide claims that the max length of a voice recording is 60 minutes, which is plenty long enough for me. How does the Symbian OS compare to Windows Mobile?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Smartphone with voice recording for interviewing people [Re: birdnird]
      #29893 - 03/30/08 10:30 AM

Windows Mobile Pocket PC phones are the larger ones (generally) that always have touch screens.

You can record voice notes as long as you have room to store the voice note. A memory card would be a good idea to store notes.

The Nokia N9500 is also reviewed on this site. It's a very cool device, though a bit old and was replaced by the Nokia E90. The Nokia 9300 is similar but a bit smaller with no camera and was actually sold in the US for a bit. Both the 9500 and the 9300 are reviewed on this site if you want to learn more about them.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4263

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage