MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
LolaComa

Reged: 04/14/08
MACBOOK PROBLEMS...BLANK DESKTOP AND TOOLBARS
      #30010 - 04/14/08 11:22 AM

Hi, last week my macbook worked just fine... I used it the friday night before I went out. Turned it off as usual, Saturday morning however I went to turn it on and the grey screen with the apple logo on stayed on for ages.. with the little wheel thing spinning.
It eventually loaded up, but my top tool bar with the clock, wireless symbol, volume etc... was completely blank - bar the blue icon in the corner with the magnifying glass.
Also the left hand side was fine? My friend said this could mean there is a problem with the software? But not knowing much about computers, let alone MACS! I couldn't really tell.

Also whenever I clicked an icon, the little rainbow circle popped up and was spinning for ages.. and the computer appeared to act as though it had crashed?
It then continued to act as though it was shutting down, by clearing everything from my desktop, bar the background, and made the top toolbar and bottom dock disappear, only to re-appear a few minutes later.
It's all very confusing and I dont know what's going on.

It continued like this for a few days, then one day I turned it on and it seemed fine... still ran a bit strangely, but appeared usable. I then turned it off and it messed up again.
I also no longer have any icons on my desktop, such as the harddrive.. I have no idea where they have gone? :/
It's working ok now, but I am afraid to turn it off again incase it does the same thing all over again

If anyone could help me out, I'd be really grateful!
The nearest apple shop to me is London :/ and I hear you have to get up at like 8am to ring them in advance??

Regards, Leanne xo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: MACBOOK PROBLEMS...BLANK DESKTOP AND TOOLBARS [Re: LolaComa]
      #30011 - 04/14/08 12:33 PM

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Your descriptions are a little vague. It sounds like you are saying that right side of the menu bar, which can contain items like Spotlight and a clock, is missing some or all of the items. If they are reappearing and disappearing, this usually means that the process that maintains them (it's called SystemUIServer) is crashing. You may be running some sort of menu item that is just too demanding for your computer to handle. For example, if you are running one of those advanced weather forecast programs in your menu bar, try disabling it to keep SystemUIServer from getting overloaded.

Does rebooting fix the menu problem?

If they have disappeared permanently, they may have just become disabled. Menu items can be enabled by going to the corresponding area in System Preferences - for example, the clock can be enabled in the Date & Time preference pane.

I'm confused about which items are missing from your desktop. If it is just the hard disk and other drive icons, you can configure that under Finder preferences. However, if you had other files on the desktop that have disappeared, that is not a good sign. Try using the Find command to see if you accidentally moved them, and check to make sure you are not switching between two or more user accounts. If it's not any of these, the files may have fallen victim to disk corruption, in which case you would need to use a Time Machine backup or disk repair software like TechTool.

This would also be a good time to boot from your OS X CD and run Disk Utility's repair function on your hard disk, just to be safe. You might also want to click the "Repair Permissions" option.

Which files are you clicking on when you see the spinning Wait cursor? How often does it happen?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5369

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage