Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Mac News: Smile! You Stole My MacBook!
      #30209 - 05/13/08 01:14 PM

When Apple added the "Back To My Mac" feature to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, enabling customers of .Mac to view and control their Macs remotely, little did they know that it would be used to solve a crime. However, that's exactly what happened after Apple Store employee Kait Duplaga, from White Plains, NY, discovered that her MacBook had been stolen when her apartment was broken into and robbed in April.

One of Duplaga's friends noticed that her computer had come back online and contacted Duplaga to ask if she had recovered her computer. But she hadn't. Upon learning that her computer was online, Duplaga used Back To My Mac to log into her MacBook from another computer and then snapped a photo of the thieves using the built-in Photo Booth software.

Friends recognized Edmon Shahikian and Ian Frias as acquaintances who had visited Duplaga's apartment for a party. Duplaga turned this information over to the local police, and both men were arrested. Hopefully, they will learn a lesson from being caught: You don't mess with Mac users.

-----------------------------------------------------

Read our reviews of iPod and iPhone Products:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod.htm

More News. . .

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4219

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage