MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
si

Reged: 04/30/03
dell axim and internet connection
      #3049 - 04/30/03 02:17 PM

Hi i`ve just ordered a dell axim (400mhz)from dell direct uk (as i live in england).
i want to connect it to the net but i am unsure how to.
At home i use a cable modem(which i connect to the pc (600k) and was wondering if i can share the same connection with the dell.As i am new to this game, i dont know what accessories i need to buy for my pc and axim to do this,if at all.
also what speed will my connection be on the dell if i can share the connection?.
I have emailed dell to explain this to me but havn`t heard anything as of yet.
thank you,
si.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: dell axim and internet connection [Re: si]
      #3050 - 04/30/03 03:17 PM

Your Dell will be able to access the Net when in the cradle (not hugely useful).

The best route is WiFi. You can get a WiFi/802.11b access point for around $100 US these days, and that, plus a CF WiFi card for the Dell are all you need. For more info on WiFi and cards, read this article + reviews: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/wifi.htm

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

si

Re: dell axim and internet connection [Re: LisaG]
      #3051 - 04/30/03 03:45 PM

so all i need a WIFI PCI 802.11b 11Mbps WIRELESS Network Card to go in my pc and SanDisk Connect Low Power Wireless LAN Card 802.11b for the dell and they will give me a 600k connection?

si

#3052 - 04/30/03 03:51 PM

also, i waould like to know if the axim has an option for permanently on backlight?.
thanks

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #3053 - 04/30/03 04:15 PM

You could go with a WiFi card for your PC and use peer-to-peer networking. That works via connection sharing in Windows. However, a WiFi access point is easier to setup and use, and you won't have to keep your PC turned on to use the connection on the Dell. Also, a WiFi access point can serve not only the Dell, but other WiFi capable devices you may add in the future (notebooks, other PDAs).

I haven't seen the SanDisk WiFi card yet. However, the Socket and Linksys CF cards reviewed on this site work great with the Dell.

Connection speed for WiFi is a max of 11 megs/second. The throughput for CF slots is really closer to 2 or 3 megs/sec, which is plenty fast enough to keep the pages flowing to a screen that size, and great for emails. It's zippy :-)

To answer your other question, you can uncheck the dim display after xx seconds if you don't want it to dim.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7406

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage