General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Full review: Toshiba Portege G810 Windows Mobile 6.1 touch screen phone
      #30648 - 07/02/08 06:16 PM

It's a Portege, but it's not a Toshiba notebook. This is Toshiba's latest Windows Mobile Professional 6.1 phone with a flush touch screen and custom touch user interface software. It looks beautiful, fitting in with the LG Prada, Touch Diamond and other recent slate-design touch screen phones. It's an unlocked quad band GSM world phone with worldwide 3G HSDPA and HSUPA that plays nicely on AT&T's HSDPA network. Though fairly compact and light, it's got a laundry list of high end features including GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR, a 3 megapixel autofocus camera and FM radio. This 400MHz Pocket PC phone is offered by importers in the US.

Read our Toshiba G810 review

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mobtec

Reged: 07/03/08
Loc: California, USA.
Re: Full review: Toshiba Portege G810 Windows Mobile 6.1 touch screen phone [Re: LisaG]
      #30662 - 07/03/08 07:10 PM

Hello Lisa. If you have to choose between this phone and US Touch Dual, which one would you pick? I check eBay for Toshiba, and right now it is over $700. It is too much for a phone to me. But, you mentioned that the price might go down to about $550. I like the look on Touch Dual better, but Touch Dual is a little too thick for me. Plus, like you said, the Toshiba is a good looking phone too. How bad is the ear-piece volume as you mention that it isn't as loud as Touch Dual? Do you think I can still hear it okay if I am talking outdoor? The addition of WiFi and GPS is also a plus.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Full review: Toshiba Portege G810 Windows Mobile 6.1 touch screen phone [Re: mobtec]
      #30666 - 07/03/08 08:21 PM

Yes, the price diff is significant right now. I do bet it comes down in a month unless there's extremely high demand (probably not too likely). Of course you do get WiFi, GPS and FM radio on the Toshiba, so that should be worth more money. The G810's camera also takes much better pictures.

I really, really, really like the Touch Dual, and even got to like the keyboard (I'm not usually into the less-than-QWERTY ones). But I did decide to keep the Toshiba G810 rather than the Touch Dual. I do have use for WiFi and GPS and missed them on the Dual. If you don't need those, then the choice certainly is harder.

The earpiece speaker volume isn't terrible-- like I mentioned in the review, it's about the same as the Nokia N95 for example. But the Dual is louder than your average GSM phone, and that is handy in really noisy places like sports fields, crowded malls and the like. The Toshiba works for me fine outdoors, but is hard to hear in noisy places. But then, that's what the wired headset is for, and Bluetooth ones .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

mobtec

Reged: 07/03/08
Loc: California, USA.
Re: Full review: Toshiba Portege G810 Windows Mobile 6.1 touch screen phone [Re: LisaG]
      #30715 - 07/08/08 10:18 PM

Maybe I miss it, but I don't find a review of Touch Cruise here. I want to upgrade my phone to a thin phone, and Touch Dual is a little thick for me (although I like it). It is 17.05mm for the US version. If the choice are Touch Cruise (15mm thickness), Toshiba (13mm thickness), or Touch Dual, could you recommend me which to pick (if you were me)? Physical keyboard isn't important for me as I am not a heavy user of text or typing. My sister has Touch with Sprint, and I like it. The Wifi & GPS feature is nice, but if everything else is equal, I won't pick one device over another simply because of that. Here are the factors that I consider. First, it is the performance and reliability. I used to have Palm, and Palm seems more reliable and faster (more snappy?) than Windows Mobile. Second is call quality (both outgoing and incoming, as well as how well it is holding weak signal. Last is screen size, color, brightness, and sharpness. Finally, if everything else is equal, I pick one phone over the other if it is a better looking phone.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Full review: Toshiba Portege G810 Windows Mobile 6.1 touch screen phone [Re: mobtec]
      #30716 - 07/08/08 11:20 PM

For call quality I'd pick the Touch Dual. It has really good call quality- a real pleasure to use for both incoming and outgoing voice. Speed is pretty good for Windows Mobile, which means slower than Palm OS and feature phones. It is one of the most stable and reliable WinMo devices I've used.

Given the smaller width and length relative to other WinMo phone including the G810, the Touch Dual's thickness doesn't bother me when it comes to pocketability. But I don't wear tight fitting pants . The Cruise is marginally bigger in dimensions other than thickness, but smaller that the G810.

The Touch Dual and Touch Cruise are better at holding a weak 3G signal, and all 3 are equal for a weak 850MHz AT&T GSM signal.

For device speed, the Toshiba G810 wins. It also wins on screen sharpness and brightness. The Other two aren't bad by any means, but the Toshiba really excels here.

I've used the Cruise but haven't written a review of it for our site. We may yet publish a review of it, but there are newer phones in the queue that take precedence.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8097

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage