MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
MattF

Reged: 07/21/08
Loc: CT
iPhone debate (in my head)
      #30882 - 07/21/08 09:50 PM

I'm getting a new phone in September. But which one?

I'm a casual user. I'm looking for the ability to do some light blogging, Web surfing, e-mail, GPS, pictures, video, 3G, Wi-Fi and lots of storage.

I would buy the Tilt or the Moto Q in a heartbeat, but now I'm also considering the iPhone.

I'm hesitating because a few things about the iPhone turn me off. First, there's the $200 price tag. The Tilt and the Q are available for substantially less.

The iPhone's lack of cut and paste, video recording and picture messaging also is not appealing. But one has to think that the App Store will take care of this, no? (I think the video recording thing is already a nonissue.)

I also hate feeling like I'm tethered to iTunes. In fact, I can't stand it. Maybe it's just my ignorance, but here's what bothers me: Say I'm surfing the Web, and I go to my favorite band's site to download an MP3 and the video for their new single. How do I transfer the files to my computer? Do I have to do it through iTunes?

The iPhone's beautiful screen (reminds me of the hype over the PSP), the App Store and the browser are all very appealing, but I'm still on the fence.

I don't need Exchange capability. I can live without a touchscreen. It would also be nice to be able to swap out the battery.

Do I want an iPhone?

Right now, I'm leaning toward "no."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone debate (in my head) [Re: MattF]
      #30883 - 07/21/08 10:35 PM

Guess the debate isn't just in your head anymore .

You can load MP3s from any non-copy-protected source. This includes sites that offer free or non-DRM tunes like Rhapsody and Amazon or your fave band site. But you do need to load them into iTunes if you want to sync them to the iPhone (since that's the app used to sync the phone). Generally it's pretty painless, double-click on the tune if iTunes is the default media player and it will automatically add them to iTunes. Oherwise, right-click and select open with iTunes. Once there you can select them for syncing to the iphone.

Cut and paste will likely have to come from Apple and not a 3rd party. At this point, I hope Apple has a clue that folks want this feature! With the future release of Office suites, it really will be a must.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

MattF

Reged: 07/21/08
Loc: CT
Re: iPhone debate (in my head) [Re: LisaG]
      #30888 - 07/22/08 08:51 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

You're right. I guess the debate isn't in my head anymore! Gotta love the Internet.

I apologize for not making this clear in my original post, but what I meant to ask was can I move something from the iPhone to my computer after I download it with the phone? So I'm using the phone to surf, I download the song, then how do I transfer it? Is that possible?

Matt

P.S. Thanks for such an excellent site.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: iPhone debate (in my head) [Re: MattF]
      #30891 - 07/22/08 10:14 AM

Anything file format that iTunes and it's syncing engine support can be transferred both ways. That means music, video, iPhone apps, PIM data and email.

*But* there's no way to get iPhone apps other than the app store program on the iphone or via iTunes on the desktop. And the web browser can play MP3s/AACs on sites no problem, but there's no option to save them (therefore no way to transfer them from the iPhone to the desktop).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

kumaran

Reged: 09/01/08
      #31264 - 09/01/08 07:16 AM

I don't know why people are suffering with unlocking and all the blah blah with apple iphone.

I have a Pocket PC, I used a iphone theme (http://www.iphonethemeforpocketpc.com/) and everything worked like a magic to me. Now I'm having the iphone experience in my Pocket PC.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: iPhone debate (in my head) [Re: kumaran]
      #31267 - 09/01/08 10:36 AM

There are some nice iPhone themes for Pocket PC, but it takes a lot more than a theme to make an iPhone.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Armanius
veteran

Reged: 11/17/06
      #31271 - 09/02/08 09:10 AM

Debating between Nokia E71 and iPhone 3G. I keep hearing horror stories about iPhone cracking, locking up, and not working quite well with Exchange. Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: iPhone debate (in my head) [Re: Armanius]
      #31273 - 09/02/08 09:34 AM

Hmmm... 3G reception issues I've heard plenty about, along with downloaded apps from the app store sometimes just quitting, but the iPhone rarely locks up. Mine hasn't locked up once since I got it on launch day, and I use it heavily and have about 30 apps installed. Ours haven't cracked yet, and I have the white one, where you can really see if it does. Not sure how prevalent that is either. I'd be more concerned about the long backup times and 3G issues if you're not in a good 3G coverage area. Give it a try and you can always return it thanks to AT&T's return policy.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Armanius
veteran

Reged: 11/17/06
      #31286 - 09/03/08 01:43 PM

Thanks Lisa. I am in Houston. So in theory, I should have good 3G. At least 3G does work well with my original Blackjack. Whether that would translate into good 3G connection for the iPhone, who knows! Do you use your iPhone w/ Exchange? I think AT&T's return policy has a 15% return fee policy. Also, what do you mean by long backup times?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6265

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage