MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Noexit

Reged: 08/26/08
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Decision Paralysis
      #31211 - 08/26/08 08:28 PM

I'm so glad to find a forum witha "what should I buy?" board so that I can ask without feeling stupid. So here I go, What Should I Buy?

I am a current ATT subscribe, eligible for upgrade. I don't wish to switch carriers to get a particular phone. They have good coverage in my area (Northern Oklahoma) and I've been satisfied with them for years.

I'm looking for a PDA/Smartphone. I've been carrying a cell phone and an old Palm Pilot for years, and the time has come for me to converge the two and gain some capabilities.

I need a phone primarily for messaging, both SMS and email. Next in order is voice, there's only a few calls that I make and receive. Next would be the web, I've currently got some web capability on my Moto L2, but it's not what it could be.

I don't care about the camera. I probably won't use the phone as a media player beyond an occasional web video. I might keep a game or two on the phone, but that's not a big deal. I don't particularly care if the phone looks cool or hip, as long as it's not some odd color.

I few things the phone has to have: Bluetooth, voice dial, POP3/IMAP email, distinctive ringtones for incoming callers. I think I require GPS.

I'd really, really like the phone to be WiFi capable, I work for a WiFi provider so this would be immediately usable, but by no means absolutely necessary. Where I live 3G is not available, although I frequently visit the OKCm, Tulsa and Wichita areas.

So I've looked at all the phone available that meet my criteria (I think). I've visited the ATT store and played with a few of them. And that's where I'm stuck.

I've ruled out the iPhone, I can't buy one locally and would have to order from and pickup about an hour away, that's just not cool. I also felt totally lost on the touchscreen, I want a keyboard of some sort.

The Blackberry 8820 I don't think I like the trackball on, but honestly I didn't get to use it enough to get a real decent impression. It's also fairly expensive. How's the browsing on a Blackberry?

The Tilt is big, heavy, and I think I'd get tired of flipping the keyboard open all the time. I think I've ruled this phone out as well.

I love the Blackjack II, but no voice dial and no WiFi are serious dings against it.

The Moto Q? I dunno, but every review I've read says it's possibly the phone for me.

I've not looked at any other Blackberry or Palm devices, but I guess at this point I'm already drowning in data, a little more won't kill me now.

My main concern, and the whole reason for this loooooooong post, is that *the* phone for me is just around the corner. Something like the Blackjack, or the Q, but with WiFi. Does anybody know of anything coming up? I do not have to have a phone right away, and if the right thing is coming out, I can certainly wait for it.

I'm open to suggestions, comments, brickbats and criticisms. Thanks!

Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Noexit

Re: Decision Paralysis [Re: Noexit]
      #31218 - 08/26/08 09:41 PM

I forgot to add that I'm particularly interested in hearing your experiences with these phones over time. One of the problems with online reviews is that they tend to be from people that just got the device, hard to find someone following up 6,7, 9 months down the road after they've had the phone for a while. Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Decision Paralysis [Re: Noexit]
      #31219 - 08/27/08 01:21 AM

I must say I really love my Moto Q9-- awesome keyboard and build quality. Also very good battery life.

Most folks get used to the Blackberry trackball and end up liking it a lot.

Rumor says that the BlackJack III will be out this fall and that it will have WiFi. I have no inside knowledge of this but the rumors have been strong and believable.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Noexit

Re: Decision Paralysis [Re: LisaG]
      #31224 - 08/27/08 01:11 PM

Thanks LisaG. I'm going to look around town and see if I can get my hands on a Q9 to play with it a little bit.

I've read that the next BlackJack will have WiFi, I may just wait for that. If the II had WiFi I'd already have one on my desk. I guess that's the problem with gadgets, always chasing the next one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4744

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage