MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
miguelacho

Reged: 08/27/08
Loc: Maine
What to buy?! $$$$$$$$$$$$$
      #31233 - 08/27/08 09:17 PM

I find myself with the rare and exciting chance to get a phone/pda combo without having to worry about price. Someone else is footing the bill. I used to have an IPAQ which died. I hated having to carry a cell phone in one pocket and a PDA in the other. In reading the reviews of the latest units it is a little daunting. I will not immediately be getting a data plan but would like the option of doing so later and therefore would like a unit that does well in this arena. I would like have WiFi and it does need to have a flash memory slot. I was impressed by the Toshiba as well as the Samsung and the HTC Diamond. Any recommendations? I have until the end of the year to make this purchase. Is there anything coming down the pike that I should wait for? It does need to run Windows mobile since the software that I need for my line of work requires this (ie. No Apple!!)

I look forward to your input!!!

Miguel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: What to buy?! $$$$$$$$$$$$$ [Re: miguelacho]
      #31234 - 08/27/08 10:03 PM

Sounds like you don't require a hardware QWERTY keyboard-- is that right? And from the devices you list, it sounds like you're going with a GSM carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile). Do you have a preference for carrier-- that would help narrow it down.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

miguelacho

Reged: 08/27/08
Loc: Maine
Re: What to buy?! $$$$$$$$$$$$$ [Re: LisaG]
      #31287 - 09/03/08 03:21 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry it has taken me so long to answer but I was out of town.
You are right, I do not require a Qwerty keyboard. I do have AT&T and plan to stay with them given coverage in my area. I thought though that this would not be an issue if I obtain an unlocked phone. I have lookded at AT&T's offerings and was not thrilled with any of them. Given this opportunity to be generous in my budget I would like to get as much device as possible. I see that several devices have GPS capabilities. This would be nice as long as it is not tied into monthly service charges.

I hope this helps. Thanks in advance for your help.

Miguel

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: What to buy?! $$$$$$$$$$$$$ [Re: miguelacho]
      #31289 - 09/03/08 06:47 PM

Using AT&T is in no way a problem. It just helps to know because if you're using AT&T you'll definitely need a phone that's quad band (with the 850MHz band in particular) and you might want 3G (T-Mo's US 3G network really isn't built-out yet).

All 3 phones you mention are nice, but the Samsung Omnia and Touch Diamond lack US 3G which is a drawback if you want to access the Net and email when out of range of a WiFi hotspot. Not that they can't do it but EDGE is a lot slower. Rumor has it that a US 3G version of the Diamond might hit at the end of the month-- worth waiting for vs. the current Euro-only 3G version. But the Diamond does not have a microSD card slot (though it does have 4 gigs of internal flash memory).

My personal favorite at the moment is the Omnia, though it really hurts that it doesn't have 3G (I use the Net and data more than I talk on the phone!).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by LisaG (09/03/08 06:47 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4137

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage