General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Review: Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows XP
      #31336 - 09/09/08 06:26 PM

Talk about bang for the buck! We take a look at the $349 Windows XP version of the 2.1 lb. Aspire One netbook. Boasting specs similar to a notebook from 2 years ago means it has plenty enough horsepower for XP, web surfing and MS Office work. The Acer is the same size as the Eee PC 4G, and that means small. It has an 8.9" gloss display that's sharp and bright, an Intel Atom 1.6GHz processor, Intel integrated graphics and a capacious 120 gig hard drive (serial ATA, 5400 RPM-- no slouch). There's a gig of RAM on board and plenty of ports for USB peripherals, a monitor and headphones.

Read our Acer Aspire One review.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
miro

Reged: 08/22/08
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: Review: Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows XP [Re: LisaG]
      #31338 - 09/09/08 07:28 PM

Nice review! I was going to pick one of these up at Best Buy but they sold out and haven't gotten any in. Today I saw the Asus Eee PC 1000H dropped to $450 so I had to pull to the trigger on that.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Review: Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows XP [Re: miro]
      #31342 - 09/09/08 10:11 PM

That's a nice price for the Eee 1000H

--------------------
Lisa Gade

rokky

Reged: 09/09/08
Loc: NC
Re: Review: Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows XP [Re: miro]
      #31343 - 09/09/08 10:20 PM

I have been checking these out at Best Buy and TigerDirect, and am fairly impressed, but 2 quibbles:
1) The touchpad buttons click hard and loud!
2) The glossy finish gets just as nasty with smudges from all the handling as all other similarly finished gadgets these days I see these days - disgusting to touch after a while. I call them "smudgets". What is your (reviewer's) and others' fascination with that kind of finish? Does it only register when it is brand new and clean? Do you like cleaning off the smudges frequently? Most of my older gear generally has a matte type finish on most parts - something I appreciate even more now by way of contrast.

Not quite a quibble, but I am struck how much more keyboard room there would be (with other netbooks as well, especially the cramped EEE, which I tried for a month before selling it) if a Trackpoint type pointer option was available (and not those stupid hybrids of both touchpad and trackpoint, which defeats the purpose of giving the keyboard more room, and makes the trackpoint harder to reach, and almost requires disabling the touchpad to avoid "triggering" it - my problem with touchpads in general: too "touchy").

I like the idea of getting the Windows model with so much more drive space and twice the RAM for very little more money than the Linux version with its limited SSD and RAM, and the un-Linuxy Linpus - all the more capacity to install the Linux distro of my choice (usually Ubuntu these days). That way I can have XP available for the weird things that Linux does not deal with yet - not much, but still enough to make me keep Windoze around (Win2K still does most of the Windowsy stuff I have to deal with, but XP would probably keep up with newer requirements better, until vendors get a clue about OS neutrality - oh well).

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Review: Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows XP [Re: rokky]
      #31344 - 09/09/08 11:22 PM

Yes, the Aspire One definitely is a smudge-hound. It isn't as bad as some other gloss finish items like HP's Imprint notebook finish and the HTC Touch Diamond. So far, wiping it with a cotton cloth (or tee shirt) does a decent job of cleaning it up. But believe me, given the number of gloss review units we have here, I do get tired of cleaning them all with iKlear and elbow grease. The Aspire One requires less cleaning than those, and looks a lot classier than the Eee PC.

The problem with adding more keyboard room top-to-bottom is that the design is still constrained in the horizontal plane. If you eliminate the trackpad and switch to an erase stick pointer embedded in the keyboard, the keys still would only have room to grow in one direction, which would be ergonomically awkward .

I totally agree that those into Linux should get the conventional hard drive model and install the Linux distro of his/her choice. Linpus isn't for serious Linux types and the large hard drive means you've got room for anything, including double or triple booting. Nice.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8204

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage