We are officially in the year of touch screen phones, now that we have a touch screen BlackBerry. For those corporate users who want iPhones but company IT managers tell them "dream on", the BlackBerry Storm is the perfect compromise. Adding Rev. A to Verzion's EV-DO fast data, the new BlackBerry could be the perfect "Storm". Here is today's announcement:
Verizon Wireless, Vodafone Group and Research In Motion (RIM) today announced that the BlackBerry Storm will be available later this fall, exclusively to Verizon Wireless customers in the U.S. and Vodafone customers in Europe, India, Australia and New Zealand.
Designed to satisfy the needs of both consumers and business customers, the BlackBerry Storm smartphone combines the powerful communications features, global connectivity and personal productivity advantages of the BlackBerry platform with a revolutionary touch-screen technology that dramatically enhances the touch interface and enables easy and precise typing. The world's first ?clickable? touch-screen responds much like a physical keyboard and also supports single-touch, multi-touch and gestures for intuitive and efficient application navigation.
In the U.S., Verizon Wireless customers will benefit from the nation?s most reliable wireless voice network and the pervasiveness of Verizon Wireless? reliable high-speed 3G Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) Revision A (Rev. A) network for rich Internet browsing and multimedia applications. In Europe, India, Australia and New Zealand, Vodafone will support customers with its high-speed 3G mobile broadband networks and the power and reach of the world?s leading international mobile communications group.
Touch and Feel
The BlackBerry Storm smartphone comes with an innovative touch-screen that actually depresses ever so slightly when the screen is pressed. The user distinctly feels the screen being pressed and released with a gentle ?click,? similar to the feeling of a key on a physical keyboard or a button on a mouse. The ?clickable? touch-screen gives the user positive confirmation that they have made a selection and the result is a dramatically enhanced touch interface and a highly-intuitive typing experience.
In addition to the familiar navigation keys (?phone,? ?menu? and ?escape?) that are common to other BlackBerry smartphones, the new BlackBerry Storm adds support for multi-touches, taps, slides and other touch-screen gestures, so customers can easily highlight, scroll, pan and zoom for smooth navigation.
The BlackBerry Storm smartphone also features a built-in accelerometer, allowing its touch-screen to automatically switch between landscape mode and portrait mode as the user rotates the handset ? RIM?s SureType? keyboard layout is available in portrait mode and a full QWERTY* keyboard layout is available in landscape mode. Other relevant features, such as cut and paste, are only a touch away for the ultimate smartphone experience.
World Class Smartphone
The BlackBerry Storm is a top-of-the-line 3G mobile phone with premium features and global connectivity. In the U.S., the BlackBerry Storm 9530 gives Verizon Wireless customers 3G EV-DO Rev. A/CDMA technology ? and (2100Mhz) UMTS/HSPA and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM for global use. The BlackBerry Storm 9500 from Vodafone supports (2100Mhz) UMTS/HSPA and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM networks.
Browsing is Fast and Easy
Customers will enjoy a full HTML high-performance browser that works in either portrait or landscape orientation. Navigating Web sites is fast and easy with the touch-screen interface that lets users double tap to zoom in and slide their fingers to scroll and pan.
Icons along the bottom of the display allow for quickly accessing Web sites, switching between ?Page View? and ?Column View? as well as the ability to toggle between ?Pan? mode and ?Cursor? mode. The enhanced browser supports file downloading, streaming audio and video (RTSP), and with its built-in RSS support, new content from supported Web sites can be automatically pushed to the user.
The BlackBerry Storm smartphone brings the full power of the industry?s leading mobile e-mail and messaging solution without compromise. It supports personal and corporate e-mail and text (SMS), picture (MMS) and instant (IM) messaging on the most prevalent consumer and enterprise platforms, as well as easy access to popular social networking sites.
Packed with Additional Features
The BlackBerry Storm smartphone, available from Verizon Wireless and Vodafone, also includes the following features and functions:
* BlackBerry Internet Service, BlackBerry Unite!, BlackBerry Professional Software and BlackBerry Enterprise Server support
* Preloaded DataViz Documents to Go allows users to edit Microsoft? Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the handset
* 3.2 megapixel camera with variable zoom, auto focus and a powerful flash that also provides continuous lighting when recording video
* Built-in GPS supports location-based applications and services, as well as geotagging of photos
* 1 GB of onboard memory storage and a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB of additional storage
* Media player that can play movies smoothly in full-screen mode, display pictures and slideshows quickly and manage an entire music collection; playlists can be created directly on the handset and there?s an equalizer with 11 preset filters ? including ?Lounge,? ?Jazz? and ?Hip Hop? ? for customized audio ranges when using wired headphones or external speakers
* A 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, support for Bluetooth? stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP) and dedicated volume controls
* Sleek, elegant design with contoured corners, stainless steel back and chrome accents surrounding its large (3.25") glass lens; its exceptional 480 x 360 resolution at 184 ppi is crisp and bright with eye-pleasing clarity
* An ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts backlighting for ideal screen viewing and an accelerometer that allows customers to view applications in either portrait or landscape mode by simply rotating the handset
* Removable and rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides approximately six hours of talk time on 3G networks and 15 days of standby time
Additional details related to availability and pricing will be announced in the coming weeks. To learn more or register to be notified when the BlackBerry Storm is available, visit www.blackberry.com/storm, www.verizonwireless.com/storm or www.vodafone.co.uk/storm
To read our latest phone reviews please visit:
Palm Treo Pro
E-TEN Glofiish V900 Windows Mobile Phone with TV
HTC Touch Diamond with US 3G Unlocked
Sprint HTC Touch Diamond Windows Mobile Pro Phone
Katana Eclipse for Sprint
MWg Zinc II
Motorola RAZR VE20
Samsung Omnia i900 Unlocked
MOTOROKR E8 on T-Mobile
LG Chocolate 3 for Verizon
Nokia E71 S60 Smartphone
HP iPAQ 910c Windows Mobile Pro Phone
Palm Treo 800w
LG Dare for Verizon
Apple iPhone 3G
Toshiba Portege G810 Windows Mobile Pro Phone
Nokia XpressMusic 5310 for T-Mobile
HTC Touch Dual
HTC Touch Diamond
Samsung Instinct for Sprint
More News. . .
Edited by sammy (10/09/08 08:30 PM)
Typo - I believe you meant Storm and not Bold on the subject line.
0 registered and 441 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Moderator: Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Topic views: 8393
Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5