General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Full review: US HTC Touch Diamond unlocked 3G
      #31427 - 09/18/08 06:15 PM

We've had enough time with our US 3G unlocked GSM Touch Diamond to flesh out our full review, complete with larger photos, sample camera pictures and full ratings. If the Euro Diamomd was a Diamond in the rough, the US version is definitely a more polished product.

Read our US 3G unlocked HTC Touch Diamond review.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
angelicman

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: California
Re: Full review: US HTC Touch Diamond unlocked 3G [Re: LisaG]
      #31428 - 09/18/08 06:59 PM

Lisa, you mentioned that the US 3G version has a better Touch Flo performance than the original. I just wonder if you can disable it? Also, are you going to review Touch HD? It is the one that has big screen like iphone? I like big screen phone like Samsung Omnia, but it doesn't support US 3G. HTC has a habit of giving the US version a little late, but at least we get it. Thank you Lisa.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Full review: US HTC Touch Diamond unlocked 3G [Re: angelicman]
      #31429 - 09/18/08 07:44 PM

You can simply change the Today Screen theme to one of the standard ones and you won't see TouchFLO 3D anymore.

The Touch HD isn't out yet, but you can be sure we'll review it once it is . The Touch HD that was announced does not have US 3G though .

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Armanius
veteran

Reged: 11/17/06
Re: Full review: US HTC Touch Diamond unlocked 3G [Re: LisaG]
      #31619 - 10/09/08 08:52 AM

I purchased an unlocked Touch Diamond ("TD") from Best Buy, and returned it within 24 hours. I was very disappointed with the TD. After having used the iPhone 3G for 30 days, trying to use the TD felt like a workout. Here are the problems:

(1) Sensitivity of the touch screen

I am not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. Maybe there was a sensitivity setting that I could have changed. If there was one, my apologies. But out of the box, I had to push hard on the screen and swipe my fingers across the screen harshly in order to get the Touchflo interface to respond. We all know that the WM PPC was designed to be used with a stylus. And it seems like maybe, just maybe, the hardware manufacturers built the TD to be used with a stylus, forgetting that the Touchflo interface was going to be plastered on top of the WM PPC.

(2) Performance

I was surprised at how sluggish the TD performed in most functions. With a speedy chip and lots of memory, it felt slower than my experience with the old VX6700 and Treo 700w! There was a noticeable lag running most programs, and especially web browsing through Opera.

(3) Touchflo - lipstick on Windows Mobile PPC

The design of the interface itself was disappointing, because Touchflo is just a cover for WM PPC. Other than having a fancy looking home screen, once an application is launched, you are right back to the "run of the mill" WM PPC interface. You still even get the "X" on a box at the top of the right hand corner of the screen to close a program. The virtual keyboard was also a problem. As much as I disliked the iPhone's keyboard, the one on the TD was much worse. Obviously, responsiveness (as discussed above) was an issue. The design of the keyboard was another. Given all the complaints about the lack of a landscape keyboard in the iPhone, why didn't HTC implement a landscape keyboard? The TD has a smaller screen than the iPhone, so the landscape keyboard is even more essential. Instead, the TD forces a user to use Blackberry Pearl keyboard configuration on a portrait mode, and with predictive testing that is not as good as the Pearl's or the iPhone. Using a full keyboard on the portrait mode in the TD is impossible, because the keys are so small that even my 3 year old nephew's fingers are too big for them.

When I got the TD, I was really hoping for an iPhone 3G quality device in terms of user friendliness, touch interface responsiveness, but with much better battery life and Microsoft Exchange support. Well, iPhone-killer, the HTC Touch Diamond is NOT. At least in this user's humble opinion.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7785

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage