MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
albo

Reged: 10/10/08
PDA for use in the field?
      #31631 - 10/10/08 07:28 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a PDA that I can use in remote field situations. I will be away from power, and so will want to recharge spare batteries with a small solar cell. Battery life is thus probably the most important thing, as is the ability to dial down processor speeds when so desired, dimming the screen, etc. Ideal would be a user-replaceable battery, though there might be a solution for an external battery that one could plug into the power port (not sure about that one).

I need an external keyboard, the ability to work with excel sheets, word docs, etc. Downloading audio files from sound recording devices and editing them would be useful. It would be completely ideal to be able to run windows statistical applications, but that's probably icing on the cake more than anything else.

My impression is that palms tend to win on the battery life, but not sure about getting an external battery which i could charge during the day. I used to have a tungsten e2, which i loved until it died. Having a bigger screen than the e2 would probably help for things like data entry though.

Any ideas you folks have would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

Allie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: PDA for use in the field? [Re: albo]
      #31632 - 10/11/08 12:52 AM

Palm's do tend to run a little bit longer, though with wireless features off, Windows Mobile Pocket PCs with slower CPUs are decent. There are accessory external batteries that have a variety of connectors that might help. Here's one: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/gadgets/Proporta-Mobile-Device-Charger-Micro.htm . I'm not sure if that one comes with a Palm connector though. It will work with Pocket PCs that have mini-USB connectors.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

albo

Reged: 10/10/08
Re: PDA for use in the field? [Re: LisaG]
      #31636 - 10/11/08 02:33 PM

Thanks Lisa. I was looking at the ipaq 111 that i think you recommend. It's processor runs up at 624 MHz - not exactly slow. Do these guys have native CPU controls, or do you have to hack them to get the CPUs to slow down?

thanks,
allie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4393

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage