Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Treo

Pages: 1
lab_rat

Reged: 10/13/08
Loc: Mansfield, TX
PalmOS - Windows Smartphone conversion of data
      #31639 - 10/13/08 04:07 PM

I was told when I was deciding between a Palm Centro and the 700wx that the data from my 650 OS could be uploaded into MS Outlook and reloaded onto a new 700wx.

The Palm 700wx does not come with Outlook software. Since I'd had no need for it in the past, I didn't have it on my computer. When I downloaded a trial version of Outlook and it didn't work (doesn't even activate the import/export functions), so I bought Office 2007 for a hefty sum. I made 3 service calls to Palm where 2 out of 3 people didn't know anything about this and everyone seemed to have to look it up. It turned out that a $25 program would have to be downloaded to make the data transfer (PocketCopy from Chapura) unless one is running Office/Outlook 98 or 2000.... I only have versions 2003 and 2007. After trying a trial version of the Chapura software to no avail, I called Palm again for help, and they said I had to call Chapura, a company with limited business hours. After a few days, Chapura said that I needed to fork over the $25.

I would not have ordered a new Palm Treo if I were unhappy with the device - my 650 was used thousands of times weekly for 3 years - even drop-kicked and skidded across the street (on accident), among many drops to hard surfaces with everything still working, even the camera. Except for the lack of memory and wi-fi and GPS, this device would still be in use and not upgraded. I think the Treo is a fabulous invention. But Palm needs to be clear on how difficult it is to transfer data between the Palm OS and Outlook. Plus that Outlook does not come with the device. The sales people and product description in ordering seemed to be very misleading. If you need to transfer your Palm OS data to Windows Mobile, take care and be prepared!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gerk45

Reged: 05/07/10
Re: PalmOS - Windows Smartphone conversion of data [Re: lab_rat]
      #36989 - 05/07/10 12:13 AM

I have a question about the Treo 700p, I got my phone from a friend, and it is flashed with Cricket, and it doesnt have a camera, is that rare for it to not have a camera, maybe im going crazy or something, but i would like to know if this is rare, thanks and leave comments

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: PalmOS - Windows Smartphone conversion of data [Re: Gerk45]
      #36992 - 05/07/10 09:06 AM

Most carriers offered a business version without a camera. They are less common.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10554

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage