MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
JDRod

Reged: 01/13/07
Upgrading from a xv6700
      #31849 - 11/13/08 08:52 PM

I'm planning on upgrading my xv6700. It's been an OK phone, but its a little bulky and I'm not happy with the strange phone behavior that I've experienced with it. I'm sticking with Verizon so it limits me a little bit. After playing around with the devices at the Verizon store, the two phones that fit my physical requirements are the Palm Centro and the Blackberry Pearl.

Things that are important to me: Good phone quality, ability to sync to Lotus Notes, small size, ability to view and edit Office documents, durability. Push email isn't that important, but I do want web access and decent text messaging.

On the surface, that looks like it pushes me toward the centro, but the Pearl "feels" like it's more of a phone than the Centro.

What can the folks here tell me about these two? Anyone have any direct comparison/user experience with both?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Upgrading from a xv6700 [Re: JDRod]
      #31851 - 11/14/08 09:12 AM

The Centro is a budget phone, and though the plastic is sturdy, it doesn't look as high quality as the Pearl. Maybe that's why the Pearl feels like more of a phone? The drawback with the Pearl is the SureType keyboard. Some folks learn to like it while others prefer the traditional QWERTY. That would be the biggest difference, along with the BB's push email (which it seems you don't need).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

JDRod

Reged: 01/13/07
Re: Upgrading from a xv6700 [Re: LisaG]
      #31860 - 11/14/08 12:23 PM

Lisa or anyone else,
I've seen on some reviews that there have been quite a few problems with the Pearl though. Memory leaks and rebooting a lot seems to be the big issues. Are these real watchouts or just a few bad apples showing up?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Upgrading from a xv6700 [Re: JDRod]
      #31864 - 11/14/08 07:29 PM

When they first came out, there certainly were a few bugs. But the Pearl line is now generally quite stable.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3597

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage