General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
AlexBat

Reged: 11/16/08
Loc: USA
3G in USA
      #31868 - 11/16/08 02:57 AM

Hi,
can somebody help me to understand if the 3G networks of AT&T and T-Mobile have the same characteristic?
I wish to buy an unlocked worldwide phone and I already have a contract with T-Mobile (but I am not so well impressed by G1).
HP iPAQ 910c works fine with 3G AT&T. Could I use it with 3G T-Mobile (like G1)?

Thanks a lot!

Alex

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: 3G in USA [Re: AlexBat]
      #31870 - 11/16/08 09:31 AM

T-Mobile uses different 3G bands, so the iPaq 910 won't work on their 3G bands (it will work on GSM and EDGE). T-Mobile uses the 1700/2100MHz bands and AT&T uses 850/1900MHz.
T-Mo just started their rollout of 3G this year in the US, so there aren't many 3G phones for their network (pretty much just what you see listed on their web site, and no cool imports). The G1 is the closest thing they have to a 3G smartphone at the moment.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

AlexBat

Reged: 11/16/08
Loc: USA
Re: 3G in USA [Re: LisaG]
      #31876 - 11/17/08 01:16 AM

OK, thanks a lot.

In other words, most of smartphone are capable of UMTS 850/1900/2100 and therfore can be used in USA with AT&T and generally speaking in Europe.
On the contrary, T-Mobile network is UMTS 1700/2100 (both bands are necessary because one is UL and the other DL) and therefore current smartphones (with the only exception of G1) cannot be used.

Does anybody know the future of T-Mobile UMTS network?

Alex

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: 3G in USA [Re: AlexBat]
      #31880 - 11/17/08 09:44 AM

That's right.

T-Mobile only started up their 3G network this year (and the 2nd half of the year at that). So that's why there are so few phones for their 3G bands.

I'm not sure we'll see a wide selection of unlocked T-Mo 3G US phones in the future though, given that T-Mobile is the 4th largest US carrier. They have approx. 30 million subscribers while AT&T has approx. 75 million. So they economic incentive for companies like HTC, Nokia and Sony Ericsson to make unlocked phones on their bands is obviously less strong that for ATT. The pressure may largely be on T-Mobile to pick up some really cool 3G phones, rather than relying on unlocked imports to keep their customers happy.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3245

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage