MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
taracnm

Reged: 06/21/04
Storm vs. sticking with my IPAQ
      #31987 - 11/30/08 10:18 AM

Hi. I'm one of the dinosaurs still shuffling around with both a phone and a PDA (an IPAQ 5110). I'm also a Verizon customer, so the Storm has gotten my attention. I'm just wondering if anyone here has enough experience with the Storm vs. old PDAs to help me decide if I should switch.

Here's what I use my IPAq for:

1) I'm in healthcare and I prefer to look up medication dosages, etc. instead of relying on my (less than sterling) memory, so I've got a good drug reference guide on there. I also use Mobile Word to keep a file of clinical info. readily available.

2) My car has an auxiliary in jack, so I use the IPAQ's Windows Media to store a decent selection of my music so that I don't have to take CDs in my car. (No, I don't have an iPod, either. Did I mention that I'm a dinosaur?)

I have never used any mobile device for e-mail or internet access, so I'm not hung up on these functions and I have no experience with/previous attachment to any Blackberry anything. I'm mostly just sick of carrying around two devices, especially when one of them (the IPAQ) turns itself on and drains its battery when it gets bumped around in my bag. I don't need many of the Storms flashier features, but I do need the drug guide and Word, and since I can get the Storm for about $125 when my contract comes up in a few months, it sounds reasonable to switch. Any thoughts? Do I sound too antique to cope with a Storm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Storm vs. sticking with my IPAQ [Re: taracnm]
      #31988 - 11/30/08 11:54 AM

There are also Windows Mobile phones on Verizon, like the recently announced Samsung Omnia i910 and the HTC Touch Pro. With those, you'd be able to continue using your existing software.

You can view but not create Word docs with the Storm out of the box. If you uprade the Documeents to Go on the device to the Premium version you can create Office documents as well. It works just as well as Word Mobile on Windows Mobile.

For the medical reference(s), check the web site of the folks who make it to see if they make a BlackBerry version. Windows Mobile has the largest selection of medical reference applications, followed by Palm OS, but there are some for BlackBerry OS.

The Storm makes a very good mobile music player and you can use microSD cards to carry a large selection of tunes with you in the car.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

taracnm

Reged: 06/21/04
Re: Storm vs. sticking with my IPAQ [Re: LisaG]
      #32007 - 12/02/08 10:06 AM

Thanks for getting back to me on this, Lisa. One question: When you say I'll be able to use my existing software with the Omnia (the Touch Pro is waaaay out of my price range) do you just mean I can use my existing references or do you mean Active Sync? I've got to tell you, if you mean Active Sync, that's not an argument in favor. I've never been able to get AS to work well. I use it on a primary PC that's got multiple user desktops and it just gets confused and unstable in that environment.

I've heard some positive things about the Omnia shifting from portrait to landscape a lot more easily than the Storm and other minor things that sound like bugs. If I'm not buying for another three months, are those glitches that will most likely be gone by then? Also can you give me a sense of the relative value of 3G (on the Storm) vs. WiFi (on the Omnia) if I'm not the typical heavy mobile e-mailer and Web surfer? I'm interested in using those features, but I'll never be someone who has to use them heavily.

Okay, so maybe that was more than one question...

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Storm vs. sticking with my IPAQ [Re: taracnm]
      #32015 - 12/02/08 10:29 PM

I mean the reference applications.

Hard to say what RIM will and won't fix in the coming months-- they don't generally share that with us, much as I'd like them to I don't find the rotation is horrid on the Storm but it does rotate too easily.

The Storm has just EVDO (Verizon's version of 3G) while the Omnia has both EVDO and WiFi. That's a plus if you'll be using the device near hotspots at work (assuming you're in an area of the hospital where wireless is allowed) and home. It's a bit faster, though the biggest plus is for those who don't want a data plan (moot now that Verizon requires a PDA data plan with these kind of phones) or if you're in an area that lacks EVDO coverage.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4244

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage