General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Hands-on with Palm Pre: All the Dirty Details
      #32343 - 01/09/09 02:26 PM

We had our one-on-one time with the folks at Palm and the new Palm Pre today. In person, it looks lovely; like a polished river stone, with gentle curves on the front and back faces. Yes, the screen itself has a subtle convex curve. That display is capacitive like the iPhone and T-Mobile G1, and it?s made of plastic with a hardened layer on top to obviate scratching. The display is vivid, bright and stunning, and the UI speed is crazy fast. Palm said they hadn't gotten to the power management tweaking stages yet, so we?re not sure if screen brightness and CPU speeds will be throttled back in the interest of battery life.

What do we think so far? Absolutely fantastic! Perhaps even iPhone-level in terms of ease of use, attractiveness and utility. While the Pre focuses on the web, email, messaging and social networking, the iPhone focuses more on media consumption (iTunes content and other music and video sources), so they're different, devices in that respect.

More factoids garnered from today's interview and hands-on demo:

The OS is Linux-based and both Palm webOS and the the Palm Pre were developed completely in-house.

The phone will support, Exchange, gmail and multiple email accounts. It can sync with several PIM sources simultaneously, including Google?s contacts and calendar applications, Facebook and deskop (i.e.: Outlook).

Like the G1, the Pre has an Amazon MP3 store application and you can buy tunes over the air (and listen to a 30 second clip). There is no DRM or MTP mode on the Pre, so it handles only non-DRM content.

Third party developers will handle an MS Office compatible suite.

The IM on the Palm Pre will support AIM and Google Talk.

We asked a slew of questions, many of which were met with ?we can?t talk about that yet?. These include:

-Battery life
-YouTube support
-Backward compatibility with Palm OS applications
-Games, Flash and 3D third party development (it?s not easy to do serious game development when your only tools are HTML, Javascript and CSS!).
-How long is it exclusive to Sprint in the US? That?s another matter that can?t be disclosed yet (weird).
-Price is still secret.

There will be Sprint applications - we asked about Sprint TV and Navigation and were told that they can?t talk about that but there will be stuff and TeleNav who powers Sprint Navigation, is a partner. Hello turn-by-turn directions!

Here are some live photos we took at the hands-on session:

-----------------------------------------------------

To read our latest phone reviews please visit:

Samsung Omnia i910 for Verizon
Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a
LG Incite Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro Phone for AT&T
BlackBerry Storm for Verzion
HTC Fuze for AT&T
BlackBerry Bold for AT&T

AT&T Quickfire
Samsung Behold
Samsung Eternity for AT&T

More News. . .

-----
MTR News

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Hands-on with Palm Pre: All the Dirty Details [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #32345 - 01/09/09 06:42 PM

Do you have any more details about web browsing (how fast, how accurate, etc.)?

The last I checked, pretty much all web browsers under Garnet were... abysmal. Obviously that is a mistake that Palm can't afford to make again, and it looks like they are aware of that.

And what's with that name anyway? Is this just the precursor to the one you're really supposed to buy?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Hands-on with Palm Pre: All the Dirty Details [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #32346 - 01/09/09 07:16 PM

The web browser is Webkit-based, as is the iPhone's, Android's and Nokia S60. It's an excellent browser that from what we've seen today in person, certainly compares well to the iPhone's Safari browser.

Yes, the name "Pre" is pretty weird. So far it's the only thing I don't like about the device .

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4839

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage