MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
taracnm

Reged: 06/21/04
Bold vs. Curve: Worth the hassle?
      #32795 - 03/03/09 05:19 PM

Hi. I'm a Verizon user who is eligible for a new phone. I want a Smartphone mostly because I'm sick of hauling around a PDA that doesn't work and a phone. Originally I'd thought about the Storm, but I'm not liking the touchscreens very well. (The inaccuracy is annoying if you're used to a stylus.) _Anyway_, I really like the Blackberry Bold, but going with that would mean switching to AT&T (so either a longer wait or $ to ditch Verizon, being on a different network than the rest of my family, etc. I've considered the Curve on Verizon, but I'd have to pay more to buy Mobile Office (a must have for me) and I still might have a slowish browser with not a lot of memory. Is the Bold really so much better than the Curve that it's worth jumping ship or should I suck it up and get the Curve?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Bold vs. Curve: Worth the hassle? [Re: taracnm]
      #32796 - 03/03/09 10:13 PM

The Bold is better is several ways including looks, solid build quality, better web browser, MS Office viewers and a newer OS. But there are rumors that a version of the Bold will be heading to Verizon. If you're not in a hurry and could wait a few more months that might be an option. The AT&T version is fairly open in terms of app installation and use of 3rd party GPS applications like Google Maps. Historically, Verizon has blocked 3rd party GPS access with new devices, but other than that, the Verizon version might be the ticket.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by LisaG (03/04/09 03:19 PM)

taracnm

Re: Bold vs. Curve: Worth the hassle? [Re: LisaG]
      #32798 - 03/04/09 05:36 AM

The Curve has a better browser? I thought it was only partial HTML? Also, I thought it didn't have MS Office?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#32809 - 03/04/09 03:19 PM

Oh goodness, my bad! I meant the Bold, not Curve. Post now corrected.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

taracnm

#32814 - 03/05/09 05:55 AM

Gotcha. Okay, so about these "rumors": I looked back through posts on a bunch of sites including blackberryforums.com and last spring, many folks were confidently proclaimimg that the Bold would come out on Verizon in Sept. after launching on AT&T in July. Clearly that didn't happen. What are the odds that it ever will? A very nice sales rep. for Verizon told me yesterday that most of Verizon's new launches happen by the end of April and that if it hasn't happened by then, it probably wouldn't. The obvious example of the Storm aside, does that sound right to you? I'm just trying to figure out how long to wait before ditching Verizon (or giving up on the Bold and getting the Curve, as I've heard less-than-stellar things about AT&T's cell coverage/dropped call rate).

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#32816 - 03/05/09 10:04 AM

Just in the past week details on the Niagra (Verizon's version of the Bold) have leaked out, and there are even some photos of the device. That would make you think it's coming fairly soon (within 2 months or less).
http://crackberry.com/exclusive-first-real-photos-blackberry-9630

Verizon releases phones throughout the year-- trust me, they keep us busy year round . They do a particular push (as do all carriers) in the late summer to fall for back to school/work.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

taracnm

#32821 - 03/06/09 05:45 AM

Okay, one more stupid question in terms of waiting for Verizon vs. jumping to AT&T: If I don't do any international travel for business (and only rarely for pleasure), should the CDMA vs. GSM thing matter to me? If yes, am I right to assume that GSM (and therefore AT&T) is the better way to go? Sorry to keep pestering you...

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#32827 - 03/06/09 08:43 PM

You're not pestering . If you don't go outside the US it really doesn't matter whether you go with CDMA or GSM. They're both equally prevalent here in the US and each has their own merits. Mexico and Canada have both CDMA and GSM, just like the US, so you'd be able to roam there (at International rates). Europe, China and parts of South America are where you really need GSM.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6121

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage