MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Skippman

Reged: 05/20/09
Need replacement phone on AT&T that can sync contacts
      #33299 - 05/20/09 12:16 PM

I'm in a state of transition between my current phone (HTC Hermes/Cingular 8525) and a new phone on the AT&T wireless network.

While I love my Hermes it does have it's flaws. The scroll wheel has never worked properlly since I bought it (used). The screen is now scratched up. There's no volume button (as the click wheel doesn't work). Its difficult to dail using the touch screen. And the Bluetooth will not handshake to my cars hands free kit (Jeep MyGIG Uconnect).

I've never used the phones data features and never really installed any Windows Mobile applications and really only have a SmartPhone in order to sync my contact list, calander appointments, and notes to my Laptops Outlook via the USB cable.

So I'm looking to replace it. I'd be willing to not use a SmartPhone provided I can still keep syncing my contacts and calander with Outlook on my laptop. I have no need for a data plan and don't want my e-mail on the go. Don't need GPS either.

My current runners up are:

HTC Fuze
Samsung Impression
Pantex Matrix Pro
LG Incite

HTC Fuze
Pros:
Windows Mobile, Full size QWERTY keyboard, VGA display, USB, Active Sync

Cons:
Clunky, No touch screen feedback, Shows fingerprints like crazy

Samsung Impression
Pros:
Excellent Screen, Touch Screen Feedback, Full size Keyboard, Thin

Cons:
Cannot sync to Outlook, no USB interface

PanTech Matrix
Pros:
Slide out keyboard and slide out dialer, Windows Mobile, Active Sync, USB

Cons:
Prone to breaking, seems clunky, non-touchscreen, tiny display

LG Incite
Pros:
Windows Mobile, Touchscreen, Active Sync, USB

Cons:
No keyboard, no touchscreen feedback

So which would you guys choose? What am I overlooking? Any experiences with the UConnect system? CAN the Impression sync to Outlook?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Need replacement phone on AT&T that can sync contacts [Re: Skippman]
      #33300 - 05/20/09 05:54 PM

The Samsung Impression has a wonderful display, one of the better touch screens and it doesn't require a smartphone data plan. Samsung does make Windows syncing software that allows you to sync to Outlook. It's called Samsung New PC Studio (what a name), and you can download it from their website here. I use that software with the Impression's non-keyboarded cousin, the Eternity, and it took some patience to get working but it did the job of syncing to Oulook once I got it working. I would say ActiveSync for Windows Mobile is more sophisticated and easier to get running though. It is a large and weighty phone and is no smaller than the Fuze.

The Fuze is a very powerful PDA phone and it is the follow up to your old phone. I like it quite well and I would recommend it over the LG Incite whose touch screen isn't the best in terms of touch response and touch-related software.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Skippman

Re: Need replacement phone on AT&T that can sync contacts [Re: LisaG]
      #33303 - 05/21/09 07:20 AM

That pretty much narrows it down to the two finalists I've been considering. Now that I know that I can sync my contacts to Outlook via the software application it's really giving the Impression the edge.

While the Fuze may indeed have a VGA screen, it's so small as to make that advantage almost moot. Plus it lacks the contrast and brightness of the Impressions OLED screen. Couple that with the fact it has no touchscreen feedback and the Impression seems to be the way to go if I don't need the Windows Mobile OS.

Plus the data plan for the Samsung is $20-$30 a month cheaper and optional than the data plan for the Fuze which AT&T forces you to purchase.

Skippman

#33310 - 05/22/09 09:30 AM

So I took the plunge and bought the Samsung Impression yesterday. Before I get to the problem let me say this phone is much smaller than my HTC Hermes was, is almost as easy to use, works with UConnect, and boy is the screen stunning! It's very elegently designed...

Which makes this all the harder to say.

It's gotta go back. The feature I most required, namely the ability to sync contacts with my laptops Outlook, isn't there. Samsung does indeed have an application called "PC Studio" which, on the face of it, will sync contacts to Outlook or any other enterprise class e-mail product. However, this phone is not supported by PC Studio and is instead supported by NEW PC Studio. New PC Studio is nothing more than a stripped down version of Media Player with a file explorer built in. It has no ability to sync contacts, calander appointments, or anything else I would reasonably consider useful.

What a shame, I really like this phone. But if it's impracticle, there's no point to it. I really don't want to get the HTC Fuze as I don't want to get stuck paying $30 for just data alone. But it seems I have little recourse. I either to that, or go back to my old Hermes.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #33312 - 05/22/09 10:32 AM

Did you download the version available in the link I posted above? I use New PC Studio with my Eternity and there are sync options. The user interface, though pretty, can be confusing. Be sure to explore all the options and menus. For example, there should be a Samsung address book and calendar (for those who don't want or need to sync to Outlook). It would be weird if they removed address book and Outlook sync for the Impression!

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Skippman

Re: Need replacement phone on AT&T that can sync contacts [Re: LisaG]
      #33318 - 05/22/09 05:18 PM

Yes, I tried both PC Studio and New PC Studio. Neither one worked. I even went so far as to contact both AT&T Wirelss and Samsung for assistance. It wasn't until I spoke to Samsungs second level support staff that they admited there was no data syncing support on this particular phone. I've since returned the device back to AT&T for a full refund.

On the plus side I was eventually able to get my HTC Hermes / Cingular 8525 to work with my UConnect hands free kit in my Jeep by simply changing the devices name under the About option in the Control Panel. So one of my two major issues has been resolved.

This things still a pain to dial though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage