MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Kent

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Madrid, Spain
Nokia N97 or Palm Pre or ....?
      #33598 - 07/04/09 08:39 AM

Hey everyone. This is my first post here, even though I'm addicted to MTR on youtube. Anyways, I have a small dilema: I don't know what phone to buy!

Right now I'm on the Blackberry Bold, and I've been a heavy heavy blackberry user / abuser for many years. I've had other phones like the iphone 2g (2 months) iphone 3g (1 month) samsung omnia (6 weeks) htc touch dual (1 month), and I've had so many blackberries. I love their keyboards. But their OS is so archaic, and I need something new. The iPhone is a no brainer no because battery life is just horrible, added on top no multi-tasking.

So I've been looking at two phones (for here in Europe): The Nokia N97 and the Palm Pre. Each with their pros and cons. They both comply with what I need: A hardware keyboard and a change from the blackberry os.

So which would you recommend? The palm pre was rushed out, and the OS is incomplete. There aren't many apps out, the keyboard is scrunched, but the operating system looks nice and it's a new OS technology. The nokia n97 is kinda old, but stable. Right? It has less "wow factor" but they slider and keyboard are top notch. The screen is larger, battery life is better. But is the OS good? The processor is only 434, is that enough to multi task? I've seen some people complain about it not being able to handle 2-3 things at once like music, browsing or even starting up other apps. Is this true people that have this phone? Especially with the v11 update? I don't know. I think the pre would give me writers cramp with it's tiny keyboard.

What would you all get? Any advice? I'm a heavy texter, but if I'm going to pay 600 euros for a phone, I'd want a good one.

Thanks!
What phone should Kent get?
You may choose only one
Palm Pre
Nokia N97
Other (please specify in the forum!)

Votes accepted from (07/04/09 08:39 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasAllen

Reged: 07/27/09
Loc: NY , NY
Re: Nokia N97 or Palm Pre or ....? [Re: Kent]
      #33901 - 08/06/09 03:56 AM

Once you go black you never go back!
Blackberry that is!

Laurent

Reged: 08/08/09
Loc: Luxembourg
      #33934 - 08/08/09 09:13 AM

Did you have a look to Android ? HTC Hero, for example, might be an alternative.

TorpedoPHX

Reged: 08/28/09
Re: Nokia N97 or Palm Pre or ....? [Re: Laurent]
      #34296 - 08/28/09 06:45 PM

Sony Ericsson are coming out with some nice Android models around October...

Kent

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: Nokia N97 or Palm Pre or ....? [Re: TorpedoPHX]
      #34579 - 09/17/09 12:22 PM

Quote:

Sony Ericsson are coming out with some nice Android models around October...

I actually got the sony ericsson Xperia X1, loved the phone, hated the battery life (even taking off 3g) with push email. Returned it after a week. The typing experience was horrible. Too flush mounted.

I got the G1 and the Htc Magic and they have inconsistencies in messaging apps (for example, instant messaging would give me random disconnects, and typing out an email on the touch screen gave me a lot of lags). So Android phones are out for me. Not to mention while listening to music, and receiving an email or message in general, it doesn't stop the music it just plays with the music, but through the speakers, and not through the head phones. I always had to put it into vibrate mode...

I'm still on blackberry phones, which I love, but the OS is bugging me.

The new Nokia N900 is just gorgeous and the Palm Pre GSM version is coming out before christmas. The Xperia 2 has a better keyboard coming out in November. The Storm 2 is coming out in October. The N97 mini is coming out in October as well!

There are a slew of new phones coming out and I don't know which one to get! And my bolds trackball is driving me crazy, and getting it repaired will take 3 weeks (I Know.... forever) so for that I'll keep it just the way it is until I get my new phone and rim will give me a new blackberry under warranty. I dunnoooooo :'(

How do you think the n900 will do? I think it will be better than the Pre for one reason: the keyboard is larger and I have large fingers :P

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #34590 - 09/17/09 07:26 PM

I think a lot depends on if a carrier picks up the N900 and which carriers those are. At $649 unlocked, it won't have a chance in volume sales against a Palm Pre that's 1/3rd the price with a contract.

As to which of those two is better-- we'll find out once the N900 ships

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6579

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage