Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Game Review: Phase 10
      #33836 - 07/31/09 12:35 PM

iPhone Game Review: Phase 10
Reviewed by Leah Jennings

If you enjoy playing card games, you will enjoy Phase 10.

Phase 10 is a rummy style card game with 10 phases (hence the name) and in each phase you have to lay down the specific cards required to go out. Example, Phase 2 is a set of 3 and a run of 4. The set in this phase would be three cards of the same value, i.e. three 6's, and the run would be 4 consecutive cards, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4. To end the round you have to get rid of all of your cards, which you do by playing your phase and playing on other phases that have already been laid down. Whoever completes all 10 phases first wins the game. If two people complete all 10 phases at the same time, the person with the lowest total score wins the game.

There are different cards that do help you along. The skip card allows you to skip one person for that turn. There's a wild card, too, which can be used in place of any card in your phase. There are some downsides, though. No multiplayer function, you have to play with 3 computers every game, and you have to choose your avatar from the reselected list they give you. The cards in your hand are very small, so when you touch a card to select it sometimes it doesn?t recognize you touched the card, which can result in discarding the wrong card. Other than that the controls are easy to learn and very consistent.

The graphics are 2D and the avatars look like they came out of a comic book. You can?t change the orange gradient background, but it isn?t too bad to look at. The background music gets a little old after awhile, but it does allow you to listen to your iPod while playing which is preferred for most users.

The game is fun to play for the avid card players, worth the $2.99 for those who want to hone their skills.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -3.5/5- 2D and a little cartoony.
Sound: -3.5/5- The sad sound effects when someone was skipped was nice.
Controls: -3/5- Since the cards are so small if it doesn?t recognize you touched a card, it could definitely mess your hand up.
Gameplay: -4/5- Simple and classic just like the original card game.

Game Facts:
Developer: Magmic
Release Date: January 13, 2009
Genre: Card Game
Price: $2.99
Buy Game: iTunes App Store

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
Re: iPhone Game Review: Phase 10 [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #33837 - 07/31/09 01:43 PM

Nice review, Leah,

This reminds me of a cute single player puzzle game that seems very influenced by the Phase 10 card game (below is a link to the lite version).

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311556395&mt=8

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Edited by LordGek (07/31/09 01:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7707

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage