Pages: 1
DevilishlyGood
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/27/09
Loc: United States
iPhone Game Review: Parachute Panic
      #33886 - 08/04/09 11:56 PM

iPhone Game Review: Parachute Panic

Parachute Panic will have you sweating as you try to guide these fearless parachutists to a safe landing over shark infested waters. Unknown to them, there is also danger in the skies in the form of thunderstorms, helicopters, and UFOs. It's all up to you to make sure they make it safely down.

Once the game loads, you will be at the Main Menu, from there you can go through a "How to Play" tutorial, view fun Statistics including tracking just how your hapless parachutists have died, and turn off sound effects or music in Options. In addition there is an "Other Games" selection; a word of warning, pressing this will end the game and take you to an App Store page showing all of FDG Entertainment's games. I really wish the game would include a confirmation dialogue to let you know what is going to happen.

Gameplay
The game includes a handy tutorial explaining exactly how to dodge the dangers and alter the course of falling or floating parachuters. The gameplay basics are really easy. Most parachutists have their chutes automatically open; just swipe a guy with an open parachute and you'll create wind that will blow him in the direction you just drew. You can create wind from most any direction, but don't expect a tornadic gust. You will have to learn to anticipate where parachutists will finally land based on their direction and rate of fall.

Other parachutists are not so lucky and their parachutes will not open without your intervention. Just tap on them, and whew, they'll be falling safe and sound as their parachute deploys. You can actually use this to your advantage. A parachutist whose chute has not opened falls pretty quickly and will not be harmed by any of the dangers in the air. So let them fall past an obstacle and then deploy their chute. You can also take a risk and open their chutes at the last second for a "risk bonus".

Enemies are plentiful in this game. In the air, there are thunderclouds that are ready to zap parachutes into ashes with lightning, helicopters with whirling blades of death, and UFOs just waiting to abduct your guys right out of the sky. Luckily you can defeat the UFOs and helicopters by tapping on them repeatedly until they are destroyed. You know an aerial enemy is about to appear when a red arrow appears at the edge of the screen. If you don't land successfully on a boat be prepared for your guys to become shark food. You can only lose 4 parachutists and continue playing, with your 5th loss the game ends.

The game includes two difficulty modes: Easy and Normal. In Easy mode it only takes 3 taps to destroy an enemy. In Normal it will take 5 tap and enemies will appear a lot more often.

Graphics
Parachute Panic's graphics have their own unique style. Everything from the menus to the actual gameplay is rendered as hand drawn doodles with a minimal set of colors. The game is meant to emulate the bored doodlings of a school student.

Sound
The sound effects are pretty funny and of high quality. You'll definitely hear the crunching of shark jaws on a poor, hapless parachutist that has missed the boat. The music is a real gem and includes catchy vocals for the main menu and post game statistics page.

Pros:
-fun, hand drawn doodle looking graphics
-easy to learn gameplay
-good tutorial
-Easy and Normal difficulty modes
-catchy music and good sound effects
-fun but challenging
-fun statistics

Cons:
-no global leaderboards
-"Other Games" in Main Menu does not warn you that you will be leaving the game

In the next update, the developer states there will be online high scores, a buddy list, and an opportunity to win back lives lost.

Conclusion
Parachute Panic is definitely fun, but can be challenging especially on Normal mode. I really enjoy the hand-drawn look of the graphics and the background music. It is an easy pick-up-and-play style game that is sure to please any casual game fan. The addition of online high scores will really give this game a lot of competitive replayability. I recommend you get the game now and start practicing before then.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -4.5- hand drawn doodle art with minimal colors
Sound: -4- catchy vocals for main menu, good sound effects
Controls: -4.5- swipe to create a wind gust, tap to destroy enemies
Gameplay: -4.5- simple to play, challenging to master

Playing Hints and Tips:
-Watch the sides for red arrows to signal incoming enemies.
-Once you swipe in one direction, you cannot just keep swiping wildly and hope to move your guys so you need to plan your moves before hand.
-Use the non-opening of parachutes to your advantage against enemies in the air.

Game Facts:

Developer: FDG Entertainment
Release Date: May 29, 2009
Genre: Arcade/Strategy
Price: $0.99

Buy Game: iTunes App Store

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
Re: iPhone Game Review: Parachute Panic [Re: DevilishlyGood]
      #33888 - 08/05/09 09:33 AM

This game has the most catchy Main Menu and End of Game tunes I'd ever heard! Very much in the vein of something you'd expect from Bobby McFerrin back in the day.

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
      #33889 - 08/05/09 09:42 AM

It's interesting that a game looks like doodles can be so entertaining. Very creative indeed.

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#33903 - 08/06/09 10:14 AM

Here is some update from the developer on the Lite version of the game and the upcoming version 1.2:

Release of Parachute Panic LITE:
Finally, almost 3 months after its initial release, FDG Entertainment gives every owner of an iPhone or iPod touch the chance to get a FREE taste of this exciting game. Find out why everybody is talking about this game! The LITE version is available since today, 08-06-2009!

Parachute Panic 1.2 coming soon:
Owners of the full version rejoice! The recently announced 1.2 update is almost finished and will soon be submitted to iTunes. Parachute Panic 1.2 is a huge update with everything gamers could ask for. Here is a list of the new features:

- Online leader board, separated into EASY/NORMAL mode scores
- Buddy list, direct friend invitation
- Live challenge feature
- Additional bonus score object: Jumping fishes
- Win back lives by catching flying storks, carrying babies!
- Permanently increase the amount of lives from 5 to now 10 lives
- OS 3.0 features: iPod music, in App purchase

Here are some screens for the version 1.2:

---

LordGek
PDA Addict

Re: iPhone Game Review: Parachute Panic [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #33914 - 08/06/09 06:27 PM

I like the concept of BONUS fish! I just hope one isn't required to land in the water to get them.

--------------------

DevilishlyGood
PDA Addict

Re: iPhone Game Review: Parachute Panic [Re: LordGek]
      #33943 - 08/09/09 01:48 AM

yeah, let's hope these bonus fish aren't leaping sharks...that could hurt

...I like that we'll be able to win lives back...it can be pretty easy to lose a life if you're not careful

LordGek
PDA Addict

#33944 - 08/09/09 10:07 AM

Am I missing something? I see no graphical differences between the current and and upcoming version.

--------------------

DevilishlyGood
PDA Addict

Re: iPhone Game Review: Parachute Panic [Re: LordGek]
      #33946 - 08/09/09 12:08 PM

it looks like the screens they provided don't have any of the new features they're going to be putting in, I would have liked to see the stork graphic

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#33947 - 08/09/09 01:59 PM

How about these:

Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
      #33948 - 08/09/09 03:32 PM

Now I see a lot of differences. Great improvements.

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Re: iPhone Game Review: Parachute Panic [Re: Carlosz]
      #34253 - 08/26/09 12:40 PM

New updates from the developer:

Parachute Panic surpassed 1 million downloads a few days ago. And the v1.2 has been submitted to the iTunes App Store. More details on the new version and more:

Parachute Panic v1.2 is submitted, with Scoreloop?s social technologies:

- Online High Scores, separated into EASY/NORMAL mode scores
- Buddy Lists with direct friend invitation (invited from contacts, email or Facebook)
- Live player Challenges feature with Push Notifications

Additionally in Parachute Panic v1.2 players will experience:
- Enhanced Music Options
- Win back lives!
- Upgrade permanent lives to 10
- New Bonus: Collect fishes
- Accelerate movements with a double swipe

Besides the tremendous game play upgrade, v1.2 makes use of the highly advanced Scoreloop Social Gaming SDK (software development kit). FDG and Scoreloop add to the overall game play experience by offering social networking features that connect people.

---------------
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#34457 - 09/07/09 09:55 PM

Parachute Panic V1.2 update to Parachute Panic is finally out and available on the App Store:

iTunes App Store

Here is some info from the official press release:

Parachute Panic v1.2 is now available, with Scoreloop?s social technologies:

- Online High Scores, separated into EASY/NORMAL mode scores
- Buddy Lists with direct friend invitation (invited from contacts, email or Facebook)
- Live player Challenges feature with Push Notifications

Additionally in Parachute Panic v1.2 players will experience:
- Enhanced Music Options
- Win back lives!
- Upgrade permanent lives to 10
- New Bonus: Collect fishes
- Accelerate movements with a double swipe

Besides the tremendous game play upgrade, v1.2 makes use of the highly advanced Scoreloop Social Gaming SDK (software development kit). FDG and Scoreloop add to the overall game play experience by offering social networking features that connect people.

The storks are in the game!

---------------
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#35467 - 12/22/09 10:06 AM

A bit of good news to share from the developer: Parachute Panic just recently surpassed 4 million downloads!

New screens:

---------------
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14722

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage