General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Review: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 Windows Mobile Pro Phone
      #33988 - 08/11/09 11:05 PM

In June, we reviewed the unlocked GSM import HTC Touch Pro2 and loved it. Now it's come to T-Mobile, which means two things: a subsidized price and US 3G HSDPA. Yes! The Touch Pro2 is a powerhouse Windows Mobile pro 6.1 touch screen phone. It features a 3.6 inch 800 x 480 pixel display, HTC's TouchFLO 3D user interface spiffying up WinMo, and a tilt-an- slide hardware QWERTY keyboard of the most wondrous proportions. Other niceties include a GPS, 3.2 megapixel autofocus camera, one-touch speakerphone, WiFi, Bluetooth and an SDHC microSD card slot.

This review includes a video review.

Read our HTC Touch Pro2 review.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ravicai

Reged: 06/30/08
Re: Review: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 Windows Mobile Pro Phone [Re: LisaG]
      #33990 - 08/12/09 04:45 AM

I consider myself a power user when it comes to WinMo devices, so I've got some deeper questions for you.

Here is the big question we all need to know: Does this phone have working video drivers? This was a serious problem on the original Tilt and many other models using Qualcomm chipsets. The Tilt packed a Qualcomm 400mhz CPU, ran QVGA, and ran painfully slow. The Touch Pro2 packs a Qualcomm 528mhz CPU and runs 480x800 (more than 4x the screen real-estate of the Tilt), so it's hard for me to imagine the CPU can handle this resolution.

How does video performance compare with other HTC models? I would really like to see benchmark tests using TCPMP or CorePlayer. Sadly, I've yet to use a phone that could rival the video playback of my old iPAQ 2755 w/ xScale 624mhz (released in late 2004) . It could run DVD rips without dropping any frames. Any chance we'll see that kind of performance on the Touch Pro2?

How do emulators run (ie SNES, Dosbox, etc)?

hehe, I think it's funny this thing is considering bulky and heavy. I've been using an HTC Advantage x7501 (5" screen) for the last year. THAT is what I consider bulky. I would love to replace it with something SMALLER like the Touch Pro2, but if it's slower then my current device, there is no way I'll switch. CPU/GPU performance is everything to me.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Review: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 Windows Mobile Pro Phone [Re: Ravicai]
      #33999 - 08/12/09 10:50 AM

You know HTC's answer to high end video playback: these are business devices. But they have done graphics acceleration (TF3D needs it), and that helps considerably, given the device's high resolution. It's been several months since the folks at Core Player released a new version for WinMo, and it would be interesting to see what they could do (if anything) with the Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 in terms of tweaks for optimal playback.

At default settings (QTv Display/high video quality), full screen, Core Player benchmarked an MPEG4 video (H.264, 48kHz AAC stereo-- basically iPhone optimal settings) 480 x 368 resolution, 856kbps at 87.26%. As mentioned in the review, the phone likes it if you keep it at 600kbps or under, hence the 87% figure.

A QVGA WMV file encoded at 406kbps played at 255%.

The Chosen, our old standby MPEG benchmark file of old played at 254%. It's QVGA and encoded at 311kbit/s.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4875

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage