General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
iPhone Game Review: Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
      #34009 - 08/12/09 02:09 PM

iPhone Game Review: Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor

You are a spider, a real one. That is the simple premiss brought you by Spider, The Secret of Bryce Manor.

The loading time is more than reasonable. A new Adventure starts right away. Along with it the in-game tutorial explains how to play. In no time you will be making your first web and eating some bugs.

Unfortunately the game does not resume your on-going progress. You have to restart the last level in case you had to exit the game in a middle of a bug hunting. It is not that bad but it is not the ideal scenario either.

Gameplay

Although the main goal of Spider is rather simple - you have to eat bugs in oder to advance through levels - the game mechanic gives you the most notable spider abilities such as walk everywhere, jump, make and crawl webs.

The controls work very well and they are easy to learn. Tap and hold to walk. Swipe to jump. Tap the spider to start a web that will be done as soon as you form a geometric shape.

Once you eat some bugs a portal appears so you can go to the next level. The interesting feature here is that before you start the upcoming level the game shows the current level overview, including bugs, so you have a chance to go back and e.g. eat more bugs to reach a higher score.

Along with four game modes (there is no difficulty levels by the way) the game has 28 unique levels, different bugs and 24 achievements. To help the replay value the game provides a complete statistics and you will be able to compete online for a high score in all game modes. It is a very complete online board.

Graphics

The graphics are polished. The hand illustrated backgrounds are impressive and detailed. There is a visible artistic touch that makes the game very enjoyable to play. From the game icon to the game Help everything feels right.

In addition, the interface is well designed. All game features are easy to reach and understand. It surely has a professional approach.

Sound

Sounds are subtle and match the overall style. The game background music is good.

Finally, iPOD music is supported along with game sounds. Yes!

Pros

Polished graphics
Smooth animations
Subtle sounds
Good background music
Spotted on controls
iPOD music along with game sounds
It supports both landscape orientations
Local and online high score
Facebook integration

Cons

It partially supports resume (you have to restart the last level)

Conclusion

The game production is above average specially if you consider the low price tag and the reasonable content well put together. In addition, it provides an unique gameplay and concept - you are a spider! - with really good controls.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -5- detailed illustrations
Sound: -5- subtle sounds, good music and iPOD support
Controls: -5- they work very well
Gameplay: -4- unique but it may became repetitive

Playing Hints and Tips:

-Eat bugs as much as possible because as soon as you leave a web the multiplier is reset
-To start a web tap the spider (don?t just touch it)
-When you exit a level you can go back to eat more bugs

Game Facts:
Developer: Tiger Style
Release Date: Aug 10, 2009
Genre: Adventure, Action
Price: $2.99
Size: 56.5 MB
Buy Game: iTunes App Store

Edited by Carlosz (08/12/09 03:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
Re: iPhone Game Review: Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor [Re: Carlosz]
      #34014 - 08/12/09 03:36 PM

I've just edited the review to correct that the game supports both landscape orientations.

LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
Re: iPhone Game Review: Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor [Re: Carlosz]
      #34015 - 08/12/09 04:18 PM

I grabbed it an agree it's something pretty cool there!

Are Wasps the only guys you can tackle in the air?

I hope they get the full resume aspect implemented in an update.

I had no idea you could flip the screen, might be nice to know if using earphones.

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8441

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage