MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
jazzrome

Reged: 11/14/06
T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2
      #34175 - 08/22/09 03:56 PM

I am a little confused here. It is listed as a quad band phone with 3g but the review lists 2 other bands (GSM quad band world phone 850/900/1800/1900MHz bands with EDGE. HSDPA 3G on T-Mobile's US bands 1700/2100MHz). What does this really mean? Will it work on other networks with 3g such as AT&T or Verizon? I am looking at buying this phone direct from T mobile just to use it on other networks. Will this work

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 [Re: jazzrome]
      #34178 - 08/22/09 07:32 PM

Firs you'd need to get the phone unlocked so you could use an AT&T SIM card. It will work on GSM/EDGE but it won't work on AT&T 3G. It only has 3G on T-Mobile's 3G bands, not AT&T's.

No GSM phone can work on a CDMA network. That means no T-Mobile or AT&T phone (GSM) will work on Verizon or Sprint (CDMA).

Since the Touch Pro2 will be coming to all 4 major US carriers, I'd suggest you wait until it's available for you carrier.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

jazzrome

Reged: 11/14/06
Re: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 [Re: LisaG]
      #34179 - 08/22/09 08:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Is there somewhere that explains the difference between the two types of coverage (CDMA vs GSM) and why I might want to go with one type over the other?

BachinPhx

Reged: 08/30/09
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 [Re: jazzrome]
      #34308 - 08/30/09 12:10 AM

This seems like a real full featured smart phone. Nice review btw. My main concern is the lack of flash on the camera. This seems like a major oversight on HTC's behalf. This may have me leaning more in the direction of say the Samsung Omnia 2. Your opinion please? Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 [Re: BachinPhx]
      #34309 - 08/30/09 01:41 AM

A flash would certainly help in medium and low light situations when the subject is closer than 6 feet. Camera phone flashes (expect those with Xenon) rarely help for longer distances. If you take photos mostly in daylight or well-lit indoor settings, then it really doesn't make much of a difference. HTC often omits the flash, for some reason.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

jacksamusprime

Reged: 09/14/09
Loc: Ventura County, CA
Re: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 [Re: LisaG]
      #34547 - 09/14/09 07:05 PM

Is anyone else concerned with the lack of built-in memory? My t-mo WING has always been plagued with insufficient built-in memory and poor support of utilizing the micro sd card for overall storage (even after the software update). Has this been addressed in the Touch Pro 2?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 [Re: jacksamusprime]
      #34559 - 09/15/09 04:58 PM

Lack of built-in memory? I don't see the Touch Pro2 lacking at all in that respect. It has plenty of RAM, 512 megs of flash ROM and an SDHC microSD card slot for potentially many gigs more storage. I really don't know why T-Mobile never updated the Wing until now-- it's 2 generations old and the TP2 isn't even in the same league. No frequent out of memory errors and it has lots of storage and a much faster CPU.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12609

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage