General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Netbook review: Sony Vaio W
      #34218 - 08/24/09 09:20 PM

Sony has finally gone and done it: they've made an honest to goodness netbook. The $499 Vaio W is, as you'd expect from Sony, more attractive than many of its competitors and it has a few elevated specs to set it apart. The most interesting is the 1366 x 768 XBrite-Eco LED backlit display. It's the usual super-sharp and color saturated Sony goodness, and it helps you to avoid all that messy scrolling and valiant attempts to get a video centered for playback without clipping the top or bottom. The rest of the specs are also top notch for a netbook: the new Intel Atom N280 CPU with a 667MHz FSB, a gig of DDR2 RAM, Windows XP Home, WiFi 802.11 with draft N for better speed and range, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR and a webcam. If you're looking for a netbook that does a better than average job of standing in for a notebook, here it is.

Read our Sony Vaio W netbook review.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dol

Reged: 09/09/09
Loc: UAE
Re: Netbook review: Sony Vaio W [Re: LisaG]
      #34481 - 09/09/09 08:37 AM

I looks very promising, especially the screen resolution. Should be interesting to compare with Nokia. If Vaio W will get Windows 7 it will be very interesting. Touched it at the mall and the touch pad seems a huge improvement over my LG X110.

Question, have anyone tried a 500GB HDD in the Vaio W? My LG X110 was limited to 250 GB in the BIOS unless you hack it with an MSI U120 BIOS. Frustrating. Very nice article showing how to fix the HDD and Memory.

Would be very annoying to once again buy something without knowing for a fact it will work.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Netbook review: Sony Vaio W [Re: dol]
      #34483 - 09/09/09 09:08 AM

Wow, that's a surprising limitation in a modern computer. I honestly didn't try a 500 gig drive but the Sony W seems to have a very modern BIOS and I wouldn't expect that limitation. But no promises, sorry. I was more interested in trying somewhat larger drives and SSDs than going that big while we had our review unit.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

dol

Reged: 09/09/09
Loc: UAE
Re: Netbook review: Sony Vaio W [Re: LisaG]
      #34535 - 09/13/09 04:14 AM

Quote:

Wow, that's a surprising limitation in a modern computer. I honestly didn't try a 500 gig drive but the Sony W seems to have a very modern BIOS and I wouldn't expect that limitation.

Thanks, the issue is that the manufacturers will intentionally limit the capabilities of these machines because they are so cheap. They would rather sell you a real notebook at a higher prize. Sony historically have been no better that LG in this regard, so I am still hoping for success reports from someone who have tried a 320GB+ drive in the machine.

/Fredrik

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5030

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage