General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600
      #34238 - 08/25/09 04:32 PM

Update: read our full written review (with video review too) here: Sony Reader Touch Edition Review

Gather round, fellow bookworms: Sony's second attempt at a touch screen eBook reader is worth a look. We loved everything about their last attempt, the PRS-700, except the display quality which was murky thanks to 2 added layers: touch screen and side-lighting.

The PRS-600 is a great improvement over the 700, but it's still not quite as contrasty as our beloved PRS-505, which has arguably the best eInk screen to date. Glare is there on the Touch Edition but it's not bad and can be managed with small adjustments in holding angle.

Here's a close-up screen comparison of the PRS-505 (red) and the PRS-600 (black):

We do love the annotations feature (ink and highlighter), the dictionary and the Reader's ease of use.

No comment yet on the desktop software because it doesn't actually exist yet according to Sony. That new 3.0 software for Windows and Mac should be out Thursday or Friday. Meanwhile, Windows users can stick with the 2.5 version that's available on Sony's web site (and you might have it installed already if you own an older Sony Reader).

We'll be posting our full review in a day or so, and in the meantime check out our 10 minute video review which includes comparisons with the Sony Reader 505 and Kindle DX. We demo handwritten annotations, search and the dictionary too.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by LisaG (08/27/09 05:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 [Re: LisaG]
      #34244 - 08/25/09 09:57 PM

Update: Sony Reader 3.0 software is now available for both PCs and Macs. And the Mac version actually works very well!

Thanks to my friends at MobileRead for catching the new release hot off the press .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#34245 - 08/25/09 10:16 PM

Here's a screen shot of the new Sony Reader 3.0 desktop software on the Mac. Windows folks, yours looks the same (I've installed it on both platforms).

--

--------------------
Lisa Gade

eli2k

Reged: 08/27/09
      #34265 - 08/27/09 04:54 AM

Thanks for the quick video review!

Do you know what happens if you annotate notes, and then you decide you want to zoom in or zoom out on the text? Will the PRS resize it the notes relative to the text? And in order to annotate, you always have to go into annotate mode; can you turn a page while in annotate mode and continue to annotate?

Can you also annotate/highlight on a PDF?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 [Re: eli2k]
      #34268 - 08/27/09 09:51 AM

If you zoom, the highlighter notes are still visible but the pencil ones aren't.

You can turn the page while in annotation mode to continue making notes on the next page(s).

You can annotate PDFs.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

hawkwood

Reged: 08/27/09
Loc: Oregon, United States
      #34282 - 08/27/09 04:55 PM

Is the screen glass? Does it seem pretty scratch resistant?

What is under the "More" button on the home screen? Applications? Free kittens?

I think this platform would be AWESOME for "newspaper" games like crossword puzzles and sudoku.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 [Re: hawkwood]
      #34283 - 08/27/09 05:06 PM

*hehe* free puppies and books. No, we wish. More takes you to another screen where you can access the music player, picture viewer and settings.

As far as I know, Vizplex eInk displays have to be glass. However, I believe the touch screen layer on top of the eInk display is plastic (touch screens usually are and it feels like plastic). It's both scratch and fingerprint resistant.

I agree, crosswords and other games would be very cool. There may be an Easter egg game or two hidden somewhere...

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Esteban

Reged: 09/02/09
      #34392 - 09/02/09 10:01 PM

Lisa,

On the video you show how a PDF file can be zoomed. I was wondering, how does one scroll through a two-column PDF file (like the one that you show on your video) that has been zoomed? Is it necessary to enter the zoom mode to pan the page towards the left or towards the bottom in order to see the rest of the page, or is it possible to use a gesture on the touch screen while on the viewing mode to see the rest of the contents of the page?

I apologize if this is a silly question. The PRS-600 will be the first eBook Reader that I'll own; I haven't tested this type of devices myself and I'm uncertain about their capabilities.

Thank you for your help. Congratulations on the wonderful review and video, they were extremely helpful!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 [Re: Esteban]
      #34393 - 09/02/09 10:51 PM

When in zoom mode, you have to use the zoom arrows on screen rather than a swipe gesture to move across the page. The swipe gesture only works to turn pages in a book.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Esteban

#34394 - 09/02/09 11:06 PM

Thanks, Lisa. Does this mean that the zoom feature for PDF files is not intended to be used while reading and turning the pages, but only to close in a piece of text or image momentarily? In other words, is it possible to set a zoom level and then proceed to read a two-column PDF file, moving across the pages from the top to the bottom of the first column and then to the left towards the second column and then down?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 [Re: Esteban]
      #34396 - 09/02/09 11:15 PM

It's meant for momentary zoom, as you put it. When in zoom mode (as opposed to using the font size changer) you can only pan around the current page using the on-screen arrows. If you wish to go to the next page you'll either need to close zoom mode first, or use the hardware page turn buttons which will put you back in normal (non-zoom) mode and advance (or move back) a page.

For continuous reading of PDF text, the font size change function would make more sense unless you needed the zoom function to better see an illustration.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Esteban

#34397 - 09/02/09 11:40 PM

Thanks, Lisa, I understand now. I'm used to reading PDF files in a 4" Pocket PC, and that's how I read two-column books on that device using Acrobat Reader when reflow is not available on the file or is inconvenient, first setting the zoom level without reflow and then moving across the pages from top to bottom, left to right. But now I see that the Reader provides a better solution with its reflow capability, in spite of the fact that the images may be lost with the reflow.

Also, I found a video that explains the PRS-600's zoom function. This video shows that one can pan in every direction in zoom mode using movements of the finger as well as using the panning arrows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKpl4wiG-Bs

mdb

Reged: 09/04/09
      #34437 - 09/04/09 04:51 PM

Are handwritten and text notes supposed to sync from the Reader to the EBL desktop app? I have everything set to sync, but there's no checkbox for the "Notepad," so my standalone notes are stuck on the device. Notes I make (on a reader 600 touch edition) inside of books sync to the desktop just fine.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 [Re: mdb]
      #34438 - 09/04/09 05:27 PM

The auto sync feature seems a little flakey to me. I ended up dragging them from the reader to my computer using the Sony desktop software.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

MarkD

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Scotland
      #34635 - 09/22/09 06:58 AM

Can the (auto-)sync feature put handwritten annotations back into the PDF? So that, say, I can mail the PDF on to someone else with my annotations within the file and readable in the normal Acrobat PDF Reader?

I tried in the shop from an SD card but it came out as original PDF plus a pile of folders/files of annotations. I read and comment on a lot of PDFs so this is the key purchase decision left after this excellent review!

--------------------
--
Mark Dunlop, http://www.cis.strath.ac.uk/~mdd/

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600 [Re: MarkD]
      #34636 - 09/22/09 09:44 AM

Annotations are stored as separate files and the original PDF is unaltered. So you wouldn't be able to mail a marked-up PDF to another person.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

welwyngirl

Reged: 11/12/09
      #35107 - 11/12/09 08:20 AM

Can someone help plse? I am considering buying a PRS 600 here in the US. I live mostly in the UK where the cost is much higher. Are there any technical problems associated with buying here? Particularly charging the unit (I assume it's charged the same way as my ipod ie cable to the computer which would be fine - I'm very non-tech - sorry!) and also downloading ebooks.

Any help gratefully received. I liked the nook from B & N but was told that it wouldn't work internationally nor Kindle so Sony Reader looks best bet as they do sell them in the UK.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 36303

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage