General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
iPhone Game Review: Puzzlegeddon
      #34410 - 09/03/09 04:51 PM

iPhone Game Review: Puzzlegeddon

Puzzlegeddon embraces the moving row or column puzzle approach and delivers an ultimate experience, adding a lot of game modes and even a campaign one insuring a good amount of replay value.

The loading time is OK and once the first game itself is loaded the waiting time becomes even shorter.

The interface is well designed and the in game Help along with the in game tips are more than enough to understand the gameplay.

Initially, only Campaign and the Quick Game Puzzle (there are 6 quick games) are unlocked. By the way, you have to play Campaing to unlock the other modes and to unlock other game features such as characters and power-ups.

In resume, there are a lot of things to do here!

Gameplay

The gameplay is rather simple. You have to move columns and/or rows in order to match at least four tiles of the same kind. You can do several moves before collecting and once all moves are done you just tap a match to collect all the resources.

Yes, each tile kind is a resource. The resources are used to fill the power-up meters. Some power-ups allow you to attack while others are used as a defense.

When you are fighting against CPU (up to 3 at the same time) you can't see what they are collecting. The on screen board is all yours. However, you can catch some moments of opponent's weakness like when the enemy just used a defense bomb. You know the opponent will need a bit of time to collect resources to get another defense bomb. This is a great time to attack!

The Campaign (required to unlock other features) is a travel through all game modes (well until now I didn't play Clear mode yet in my campaign). So you will face Puzzle (collect as many resources as possible in the given time), Challenge (e.g. make 2 combos then 3 chains and so on - it is not that easy!), Time Attack (fight against up to 3 opponents to see who kills more), Duel (fight against a single strong opponent), Survival (kill all opponents to win) and Clear (clear all blocks with a single transformation which means a single tap to collect).

As you advance in your campaign you will unlock power-ups that will help you in the battles. A good set of them can be achieved. Boost, Defence, Disrupt and Attack are available along the campaign and all of them support 3 levels of performance making 12 power-ups or abilities to play with.

In addition, you will be able to unlock up to 8 different characters with unique special skills.

Game modes, power-ups and different characters give this game a lot of alternatives to play with.

However, the campaign does not show your progress or something like this. After you win a level another one starts and so on. I would love to see my campaign performance and even my progress. Right now I don't have any idea of how much I'll have to play to complete it.

On line leader board is for Puzzle mode and statistics for other quick games and campaign (all together).

Graphics

Although graphics are just good they are colorblind aware.

Animations are basic but smooth.

Sound

The game has a background music that matches the game itself but it is a bit repetitive.

Unfortunately the game does not support iPOD music.

Here's a video from the PC version of the game:

Pros

Great content
Power-ups and different characters
On line board for Puzzle mode
Statistics

Cons

It does not support iPOD music
It can?t resume
Campaign progress is not displayed at all
PC version is a lot more polished

Conclusion

Puzzlegeddon is a very simple but captivating puzzle game due its reasonable and diversified content (that includes a bit of strategy) and features to unlock.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -3.5- nothing fancy but it is colorblind aware
Sound: -3- it does not support iPOD music
Controls: -5- easy and responsive
Gameplay: -4- great content but it does not show campaign progress

Playing Hints and Tips:

Read all the Help to understand every power-up properly
Pay attention to opponent?s defense moves to attack them in the right time

Game Facts:
Developer: Handy Games
Release Date: Aug 31, 2009
Genre: Puzzle
Price: $3.99
Size: 21.2 MB
Lite version: iTunes App Store
Buy Game: iTunes App Store

Edited by Carlosz (09/03/09 06:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
Re: iPhone Game Review: Puzzlegeddon [Re: Carlosz]
      #34411 - 09/03/09 05:14 PM

Looks interesting, Carlosz!

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7019

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage