General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
iPhone Game Review: Skabooki
      #34511 - 09/10/09 07:12 PM

iPhone Game Review: Skabooki

The Curse of Skabooki is a very polished puzzle game that has not only a well designed character but also a bit of story.

Achievements, a book to unlock, 3 modes of play (orders that give Skabooki a special feature, like more time to play) and 100 levels are enough reasons to consider this puzzle seriously.

Gameplay

The goal is rather simple: to lead Skabooki to an exit at bottom. To do so you have to eliminate 3 or more tiles of the same color by tapping the group. Arrows, ice and doors, for example, are elements that interact with Skabooki increasing the game complexity.

Each level requires some planning because a wrong move will force you to restart it losing a life (skull). However, you can not think too much because you have a limited time (candle at bottom right) to complete a level.

During my game I have deliberated lose all my lives but the game just prompted me to retry the level and I could not see any score penalty or something. Strange.

Anyway, when you complete a level you have access to the level summary and your total score (the sum of all played levels).

Talking about score. Pure puzzle games like Skabooki should have statistics instead score. The score for this kind of puzzle does not say so much. Statistics however could reflect the gamer performance during his adventure. A life lost, for example, could represent an statistic entry giving it some real relevance (if not to end the game at least to decrease the player statistics).

By the way, the game allows you to select a previous level to play again and to change Skabooki Order in your Profile.

As I mentioned before, an Order reflects Skabooki special ability like more time or more lives to play. I?m not sure how important an Order is because losing all lives does not have a visible consequence.

Controls work great but an undo button would be very welcomed because each hand made level has basically one way to be completed.

Graphics

The game is very polished. The interface (e.g. menu items) and the game board are well designed and the subtle animations and effects give it a sophisticated touch not so common in a puzzle game.

Note however that although the game relies on colors there is no colorblind mode.

Finally, I find Skabooki glow cut abruptly at bottom? It could be better.

Sound

Unfortunately Skabooki does not support iPOD music.

However, its own background music is very nice and matches the overall voodoo game theme wonderfully.

Sound effects are subtle and you may need to adjust BGM volume in order to properly hear them.

Pros

Great graphics
Good animations and special effects
Good content
You can play previous levels

Cons

It can?t resume
It doesn?t support iPOD music
No Undo button
No statistics

Conclusion

The Curse of Skabooki is a pure puzzle game with top-notch graphics and music along with a reasonable content that includes even a book to unlock. It is recommended for those gamers that enjoy hand made challenges.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -4.5- very polished but Skabooki glow looks cut
Sound: -4- great music but no iPOD support
Controls: -3.5- they work well but there is no undo button
Gameplay: -4- I?m still not sure why it has lives and statistics fit better than score for such kind of puzzle

Playing Hints and Tips:

For a pure puzzle the best approach is planning
To access the book tap Achievements

Game Facts:
Developer: Sudjam, LLC
Release Date: Jul 29, 2009
Genre: Puzzle
Price: $1.99
Size: 31.2 MB
Buy Game: iTunes App Store

Edited by Carlosz (09/13/09 10:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone Game Review: Skabooki [Re: Carlosz]
      #34514 - 09/10/09 09:51 PM

Cute graphics!!!

---------------
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: iPhone Game Review: Skabooki [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #34515 - 09/10/09 10:02 PM

Quote:

Cute graphics!!!

Looks like the devs got a lot of inspiration from LittleBigPlanet!

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
Re: iPhone Game Review: Skabooki [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #34517 - 09/11/09 12:30 AM

It reminds LittleBigPlanet indeed.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7872

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage