General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
iPhone Game Review: Fractalis Puzzle Gallery
      #34677 - 09/27/09 10:59 PM

iPhone Game Review: Fractalis Puzzle Gallery

App Store has a few number battle alike games but Fractalis stands out due its polished production.

Along with a nice icon, Fractalis loads fast and the initial screen is organized and well designed. There is even a background music (short and cut loop though).

The content includes a live Gallery of fractals. Live because the unlocked fractals are animated images or as the game description says: "vivid NIGHTSTAND mode in gallery - Enjoy the pulsating and sparkling fractals within the most original desktop decoration ever made with your device!". Cool!

Gameplay

In a number battle or war the goal is to collect more points than the opponent (in this game the CPU) by selecting positive numbers (blue tiles) or negative ones (red tiles). Positive will add points to your score while negative will reduce.

The player usually has to select one of the horizontal available tiles in the round row. The CPU plays with vertical ones. Note, however, that you can change this.

Each player can choose a tile only from the row or column that his opponent selected and here lies the strategic part of the game because sometimes it is better to select a red tile (e.g. -1) to force the opponent get a worst one.

The game has 3 difficulty levels and also offers some twists such as:

- Blind mode: red tiles are hidden
- Time mode: limited time to make a move
- Bomb mode: a random tile is destroyed
- Swap mode: tiles swap their colors

In a Quick Game you can build the game by selecting those elements, creating a personalized challenge to freely play it. The Quick Game would be perfect and the replay value would be increased if Statistics (like winnings/losses) were added.

However, Challenges are the unique and greatest feature of Fractalis. Each of the 60 challenges has a different game configuration (difficulty and elements for example) and the award is the reveled board background fractal that is added to the Gallery.

Unfortunately the game can?t resume. I?m not sure if it is a bug because the initial screen has a Resume button.

Finally, controls are simple (tap to select and another tap to commit) and work well. Visual feedback is present and make it even easier to play the game.

Graphics

Fractalis has the most polished interface and graphics for such kind of game. The live fractals gallery is an awesome touch.

Sound

Background music is just OK. Sound effects are subtle and well fit the gameplay. Very nice.

The game does not support iPOD music at all. As always we wish to see it in a future update along with sound effects.

Pros

Fast loading time
Polished graphics and interface
Good set of different elements
60 challenges
Customized Quick Game
Gallery

Cons

It does not support iPOD music
It can?t resume
No statistics
No online feature

Conclusion

Fractalis is the best number battle or war game available due its polished presentation and the 60 different challenges that reward the player with a live fractals gallery.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -4.5- polished graphics and interface
Sound: -3- repetitive background music and no iPOD support
Controls: -5- work well
Gameplay: -4- challenges are great but no statistics for Quick Game

Playing Hints and Tips:

Sometimes is not worth to get the highest positive number
Try to see some plays ahead

Game Facts:
Developer: NAWIA GAMES
Release Date: Aug 01, 2009
Genre: Puzzle
Price: $1.99
Size: 15.1 MB
Buy Game: iTunes App Store

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
Re: iPhone Game Review: Fractalis Puzzle Gallery [Re: Carlosz]
      #34680 - 09/28/09 12:41 AM

Hey CarlosZ,

Are the Challenges just a set of parameters for a randomized board or completely pre-scripted?

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
Re: iPhone Game Review: Fractalis Puzzle Gallery [Re: LordGek]
      #34681 - 09/28/09 04:07 AM

I think they are pre-scripted. I'm sure my second try on challenge #3 was the same board configuration. I don't think it's a bad thing though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10196

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage