Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Game Review: CockaDoodle Inc
      #34782 - 10/05/09 06:39 PM

iPhone Game Review: CockaDoodle Inc
Reviewed by skyye06

Most time management games have you handling individual people, CockaDoodle brings something new to the plate: control of an entire company and most of all...making good ol' fried chicken.

The story starts out as you, Danny the worthless boy who knows little about business much less handling a tycoon. This so called scenario happens due to the fact that Richard, the so called savior to rescue CockaDoodle Inc. to save them from the economic down turn, manages to get hurt and now you must come to the rescue and impersonate him. The story does not grab much of your attention but when have the stories ever been enticing?

Here you are granted with 19 levels and one more as you complete the last one. Once the levels have begun you are given access to 4 different screens in which you must alternate through the use of the buttons seen onscreen on the lower right hand side. Each doing something different as to farming, processing, distribution/sales, and marketing.

Gameplay

Now this game is not your ordinary time management. It gets very intense throughout the game managing 4 screens at one time. This may seem to turn off the casual audience but shouldn't: as if you went from level to level it should ease you into it. The first few levels are basically the tutorials to get you into the game and then gradually rises in difficulty. Which is difficult enough that it won't disappoint those who want a challenge.

The way the game is played strays a bit from the Time Management games you know such as Sally?s Spa where you control one character to do everything. In fact you actually watch over the production and never have to lift a finger...unless something goes wrong. Of course it wouldn't be fun if you did nothing. There are many things that go wrong (as they do in real life) which involves cleansing an epidemic, maintaining farms, draining the fatty oils, keeping your cooks and cashiers in check, and etc.

Yet you are not alone at these troubled times as you can acquire assistants each with different attributes concerning different tasks to help you solve problems. Throughout the levels you also acquire new facilities and the ability to upgrade them.

Building such an empire does not go without its consequences as you are faced with more than what you see during the levels. As you also fight animal protesters, strikes, frustrated customers, and etc...just like in real life.

The length may seem such a concern to some as there are only 20 levels. In reality it is sufficient enough as the levels are much longer in length than you think. While most time management games make you do such tasks in one day, CockaDoodle Inc's tasks can span over a period of time (in days which are presented in the left hand corner of your iDevice.)

I have to congratulate them on the excellent controls as I found myself not once felt frustrated with the touch interface. It is very fluid from selecting factories to slapping the cook silly for sleeping on the job. You also do not feel overwhelmed as everything is placed nicely and well organized for you to know where they are.

Graphics

The graphics are above average compared to most time management games though ultimately not very noticeable. The art design is very appealing as it is very colorful. The character cut scenes add a vibrant flavor to the mix that I have grown to adore.

Sound

Sound is one of the weakest links in the game though not the Achilles heel. There is nothing spectacular yet nothing wrong with it either. Time management games usually have background music to accompany the action, but Cockadoodle Inc doesn't offer any in-game music. You can play your own iPod/iPhone music though. There are not a lot of sound effects in the game either but what's there are doing the job: for example, when the truck takes way the chickens for processing its makes the expected vroom! sound.

Pro:

-Once you finish the objective, it ends the level. This could be good or bad: some want to end the level, others may want to keep playing to see how much profit they can acquire.
-Polished graphics
-Much deeper experience as you control a whole corporation over 4 changeable screens.

Con:

-The almost generic feeling of the workers turn me off but that is a plague consistent with quite a few Time Management games. A little added personality would have gone a long way.
-No in-game music
-Game plays itself for the most, you just prevent any disasters which could turn off some who want control of everything.

Conclusion

Cockadoodle Inc is a very fun game. Not quite perfect but an upper tier Time Management game and would love to see what an update could do. This has so far become my top TM game ahead of Sally Spa and Diner Dash, two most popular Time Managemet games on the iPhone and iPod touch gaming platform. Satisfies the casual, TM, and even the hardcore gamer as this game is by far the deepest TM with its solid graphics and delightful concept. For those looking for one of the best TM experiences you will find it in Cockadoodle In for just a minimal price.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -4.5- Great cut scenes and solid art design.
Sound: -3.5- No in-game music is killer but at least it has decent SFX.
Controls: -5- Controls are top notch with excellent response to your touch.
Gameplay: -4.5- Fun gameplay, new TM concept and enough things to do.

Playing Hints and Tips:

-Make sure to switch between screens constantly to check if any has problems.

-When almost reaching your goal, go ahead and sell all your equipment and buildings as you get no penalty for doing that.

App Facts:
Developer: Minoraxis Inc.
Release Date: August 31, 2009
Price: $0.99
Buy App: iTunes App Store
Lite: iTunes App Store

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone Game Review: CockaDoodle Inc [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #34849 - 10/11/09 04:23 PM

Very interesting gameplay. Have to try it.

---------------
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
Re: iPhone Game Review: CockaDoodle Inc [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #34851 - 10/11/09 04:27 PM

Another game I've overlooked. Thank you for the great review Tong!

Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
Re: iPhone Game Review: CockaDoodle Inc [Re: Carlosz]
      #34853 - 10/11/09 04:34 PM

I've just checked the developer's games. They made Fruit juice Tycoon and the sound was the weakest feature too.

They should improve sound effects and music because they seem dated.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10886

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage