Update: read our full Motorola Droid review .
Verizon Wireless and Motorola today unveiled DROID by Motorola, the first smartphone powered by Android 2.0. The Motorola DROID Google phone features a 3.7" hi-res display, built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, a 5 megapixel camera with autofocus and all the Google Android phone's bundle.
DROID by Motorola has a solid exterior, intelligent interior and is one of the thinnest full-QWERTY slider phones available. It is a no-fuss, high-tech, location-aware, voice-recognizing, over-the-air updating, multi-tasking machine ? and it is available just in time for holiday wish lists.
With DROID by Motorola, you can:
* Zip through the Web: Access the Internet at 3G speeds via the nation?s largest and most reliable 3G network or from any Wi-Fi hotspot. The multi-window HTML browser with a massive processor delivers the Web the way you expect.
* See it all in cinema-style: View the Web, e-mail, Google Maps, videos and more in widescreen on a brilliant 3.7? high-resolution screen. Boasting a width of 854 pixels to reduce the need for side-to-side panning and more than 400,000 pixels total, DROID has more than twice that of the leading competitor.
* Run multiple applications at once: Customize your DROID with thousands of applications and hundreds of widgets available on Android Market. Toggle back and forth between up to six applications at a time to juggle the universe and your apps.
* Perform Google Search at the speed of sound: Simply tell DROID what you?re looking for using voice-activated search, and it will serve up Google search results based on your location. If you want more, simply type what you?re looking for into the search bar on the home screen and DROID will also search content on your phone, such as apps and contacts, and the Web.
* Capture moments: Snap digital camera-quality photos with a 5 megapixel camera loaded with the works, such as a dual-LED flash, AutoFocus and image stabilization, or capture your friend?s antics in 16 million colors with DVD-quality video capture and playback. Store it all on the included 16 GB memory card, so you always have it on hand.
* Multi-task like a master: Keep tabs on all your messages with integrated Gmail and Exchange e-mail pushed directly to you, but don?t let them get in your way. With the handy Android notification panel, go straight to the message or simply ignore it, and get back to the task at hand. And, a smart dictionary learns as you type and automatically includes your contacts.
* Get where you need to go with Google Maps Navigation (Beta): DROID is the first device with Google Maps Navigation, providing turn-by-turn voice guidance as a free feature of Google Maps. It?s powered by Google and connected to the Internet. Use voice shortcuts and simply say ?Navigate to [your destination],? and you?ll be on your way. See live traffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, and get access to the most recent maps and business information from Google Maps without ever needing to update your device.
Pre-loaded Applications and Enhancements to Google Mobile Services:
* Google Maps: With layers in Google Maps, view geographic information, such as My Maps, Wikipedia, and transit lines, right on the map.
* Gmail: Multiple accounts support and undo for common operations.
* YouTube: One-touch recording and playback from homescreen widget or app, one-touch sharing with friends, and the ability to view your own uploaded videos and high-resolution videos.
* Google Talk: Easily switch between chats, search your chat history, and preview pictures and videos sent by links.
* Android Market: Browse and download applications created by third-party developers.
* Calendar: Ability to see who has R.S.V.P.?d to your meeting invitations.
* Amazon MP3 Store: Download the latest tracks over the air.
* Verizon Wireless Visual Voice Mail: Delete, reply and forward voice mail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voice instructions.
DROID by Motorola with Google Specs:
Talk and Standby Time
TT: 385 mins/6.4 hours
SB: 270 hours/11.25 days
Capacitive Touch; Full Qwerty Side Slider
800/1900, CDMA EVDO rev A
169 g / 6 oz
60.00 (x) x 115.80 (y) x 13.70 (z) mm
2.4 (x) x 4.6 (y) x 0.5 (z) inches
Webkit HTML5 based browser; Flash 10 ready
Gmail, Exchange, IMAP, POP, Macmail, Gmail, MSN Hotmail, Yahoo and AOL
Bluetooth v2.1+EDR, 3.5mm Headset jack, USB 2.0 HS
3.7?, 480x854 WVGA
WVGA display houses 400,000 pixels
SMS/MMS, Full HTML5 Browser
AMR-NB/WB, MP3, WAV, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA
Advanced Video record/playback at D1 resolution (720x480) with up to 24fps capture and 30fps playback, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
5.0 megapixel, AutoFocus, dual LED Flash and image stablization
16GB card included in phone, Up to 32GB microSD expandable
802.11b/g, 3-axis accelerometer
Pricing and Availability:
DROID by Motorola will be available in the United States exclusively at Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online on Friday, Nov. 6, for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement after a $100 mail-in rebate. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
To get the most from DROID by Motorola smartphone, customers will need to subscribe to a Nationwide voice plan and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan. Nationwide voice plans begin at $39.99 for monthly access for 450 minutes and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan is $29.99 for monthly access.
For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com
To read our latest phone reviews please visit:
HTC Imagnio for Verizon
HTC Pure for AT&T
samsung Rogue for Verizon
HTC Touch Pro2 for Verizon
HTC Hero for Sprint
HTC Touch Pro2 for Sprint
More News. . .
Edited by LisaG (10/31/09 02:24 AM)
0 registered and 1131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Moderator: Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Topic views: 5472
Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5