Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
weekendgardener

Reged: 12/02/09
Corporate IT will only support Blackberries and not smartphones
      #35296 - 12/02/09 11:45 PM

Need of some technical advice!

I'm currently eligible to upgrade my ancient blackberry 8700. After reviewing several phones,the HTC Touch Pro2 from Verizon seems to fit my business needs the best. Unfortunately, corporate IT advised me that they would not support anything except for blackberries. No real reason was given so I am guessing that either 1. our network isn't set up to handle anything but blackberries or 2. they just don't know how to set it up. Our company uses Microsoft Outlook for emails, contacts, calendars, etc. I also know of one other person in our company that uses a smartphone running Symbian OS and has no problems accessing all the features of our corporate email system. After talking to the verizon reps and some IT friends, they claim the corp email set up for th HTC TP2 is very simple. So what kind of technical response can i provide to my IT group to show them that it can work??? Help!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Corporate IT will only support Blackberries and not smartphones [Re: weekendgardener]
      #35307 - 12/03/09 03:30 PM

IT groups sometimes do standardize on a single platform and learn it deeply so they can support it. They're not so eager to learn another platform (a shame) and so tell employees tough luck.

If Outlook and/or MS Exchange are your company standard, Windows Mobile has an obvious advantage being another MS product. Support for Outlook and Exchange is excellent in WinMo. Corporate/Exchange setup is super-simple. Just go into the ActiveSync application on the Touch Pro2 and enter your email address and Exchange server address.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

weekendgardener

Reged: 12/02/09
Re: Corporate IT will only support Blackberries and not smartphones [Re: LisaG]
      #35321 - 12/04/09 07:52 PM

Thanks Lisa for the advice. After talking futher with our IT dept, they did confirm that Outlook and MS Exchange are a standard and both are supported. However, they did tell me that they do not support Active Sync applications (not really sure what they meant by that). I also found out that I can also access my Outlook via an OWA account. That might be another option if the MS Exchange option doesnt work.

Can you tell me if the HTC TP2 can provide direct push of emails through an OWA account?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Corporate IT will only support Blackberries and not smartphones [Re: weekendgardener]
      #35323 - 12/04/09 09:13 PM

ActiveSync is the software on the mobile side that handles syncing and it's made by Microsoft. Other platforms license it too-- your co-worker's Symbian phone, for instance. You could use OWA to access your email but trust me, Echange is the best and most complete way and should work fine since your company uses Exchange. If they use Exchange Server 2007 or later, then push email will work as well (otherwise the device will check email on an interval that you specify).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3757

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage